all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7659: emacs - c mode tab space different between windows and linux
@ 2010-12-16 22:50 Anoj Perera
From: Anoj Perera @ 2010-12-16 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7659

Hi wonder if some one can shed some light on my issue below, don't
know if this is a bug or a config problem. I use emacs 23.1 for pretty
much every thing from coding to organising the day. Unfortunately I
have to use windows at work and linux (Ubuntu 10.04) at home. The
source files I create at home in my linux box are formatted quite
horribly when viewed in emacs on my Windows machine. The tab spacing
seems to have a mind of its own. I made sure tab spacing is the same
on both machines from my .emacs file. Many thanks if some could point
me in the right direction.

Thanks,
pyrus

* bug#7659: emacs - c mode tab space different between windows and linux
@ 2010-12-17  8:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTikr0vqNvcZzaURLe+RezWQZ5+2OMJT8Eu+KMmuo@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-17  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anoj Perera; +Cc: 7659

> From: Anoj Perera <anojmperera@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:50:51 +0000
>
> Hi wonder if some one can shed some light on my issue below, don't
> know if this is a bug or a config problem. I use emacs 23.1 for pretty
> much every thing from coding to organising the day. Unfortunately I
> have to use windows at work and linux (Ubuntu 10.04) at home. The
> source files I create at home in my linux box are formatted quite
> horribly when viewed in emacs on my Windows machine. The tab spacing
> seems to have a mind of its own. I made sure tab spacing is the same
> on both machines from my .emacs file.

Two questions:

  . does this happen in "emacs -Q" on both platforms (i.e., do the
    source files look the same then)?

  . how exactly did you set tab spacing in your .emacs, on each
    platform?

@ 2010-12-17 11:00     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-17 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anoj Perera; +Cc: 7659

> From: Anoj Perera <anojmperera@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:59:37 +0000
>
> Hi many thanks for your reply. Haven't tried the -Q option (without

Please do.  I think you will discover that the display on Ubuntu will
then look exactly like that on Windows.

And please keep 7659@debbugs.gnu.org on the list of addressees, so
this whole discussion gets recorded in the history of your bug report.

> I've attached a source file coded with
> emacs in linux (Ubuntu 10.04) and a screenshot same file viewed in
> emacs in Windows. You can note the diference, function name and
> arguments are indented little too much.

I see your file exactly like in the screenshot, both on Windows and on
GNU/Linux.  So I think you have some site init file on Ubuntu that
sets certain options related to C indentation.  "emacs -Q" will bypass
the customizations on that file, so you will know this for sure.

If this is indeed the case, you should look at your site init file,
and do the same on Windows.

> I am guessing this is a character encoding issue.

No, character encoding doesn't (and cannot) have anything with
indentation.  It's just that (if my guess is right) on Ubuntu you have
some customizations that you need to have on your Windows .emacs, and
then you will see the same display.

* bug#7659: emacs - c mode tab space different between windows and linux
@ 2010-12-17 11:30       ` Anoj Perera
From: Anoj Perera @ 2010-12-17 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 7659@debbugs.gnu.org

Ok thanks, I will try that out.

Regards,
Anoj

@ 2010-12-17 17:45         ` Anoj Perera
From: Anoj Perera @ 2010-12-17 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 7659@debbugs.gnu.org

Hi I tried running emacs with -Q option and it seems to read source
files from Windows machine as it meant to read. I will try and bottom
out the configuration file issue.

Thanks
Anoj

@ 2010-12-17 18:23       ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-12-17 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Anoj Perera, 7659

Eli Zaretskii skrev 2010-12-17 12.00:

> I see your file exactly like in the screenshot, both on Windows and on
> GNU/Linux.  So I think you have some site init file on Ubuntu that
> sets certain options related to C indentation.  "emacs -Q" will bypass
> the customizations on that file, so you will know this for sure.

Ubuntu puts stuff in /etc/emacs, mostly junk.  Look there.

	Jan D.

* bug#7659: emacs - c mode tab space different between windows and linux
@ 2010-12-17 21:51         ` Anoj Perera
From: Anoj Perera @ 2010-12-17 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: 7659@debbugs.gnu.org

Thanks it's solved now. It was the config file. I did notice there are
many .emacs.d type folders all over /usr/share and /etc/emacs
etc/emacs23.

Regards,
Anoj

@ 2010-12-17 22:53           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-17 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anoj Perera; +Cc: 7659-done

> From: Anoj Perera <anojmperera@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 21:51:49 +0000
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, "7659@debbugs.gnu.org" <7659@debbugs.gnu.org>
>
> Thanks it's solved now. It was the config file.

Great, closing the bug.