all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* runemacs.exe without installing Emacs
@ 2011-04-02 15:08 Christoph Scholtes
From: Christoph Scholtes @ 2011-04-02 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Eli,

I always run the trunk Emacs locally without installing on Windows.

I am missing a way to be able to use `runemacs.exe' without installing.

Right now, when running it from the build directory `nt/oo-spd/i386', it
can't find `emacs.exe'.

Can we either

  let `runemacs.exe' check not only its current directory, but also the
  `src' build directory for an `emacs.exe'

or

  add a command line option for `runemacs.exe' to provide a path to
  `emacs.exe'

?

Which option would be preferable? Or is there another way?

Christoph

* Re: runemacs.exe without installing Emacs
@ 2011-04-02 18:30 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-04-02 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Scholtes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Can we either
>
>  let `runemacs.exe' check not only its current directory, but also the
>  `src' build directory for an `emacs.exe'

How would runemacs know, in the case of being installed, how to find
the src directory?

>  add a command line option for `runemacs.exe' to provide a path to
>  `emacs.exe'

That would be possible, but

> Which option would be preferable? Or is there another way?

what are your reasons for not installing? I ask because if what you do
not want is copying the files to another place, there's always the
posibility of in-place installations; that's what I always do. And if
you use the new install-bin target, instead of install, you don't even
run addpm.exe.

    Juanma

* Re: runemacs.exe without installing Emacs
@ 2011-04-02 18:58 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Scholtes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Christoph Scholtes <cschol2112@googlemail.com>
> Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:08:46 -0600
>
> I always run the trunk Emacs locally without installing on Windows.

Just saying "make install" without specifying INSTALL_DIR will
"install" the binaries in the `bin' subdirectory of the top-level
directory.  Is that good enough?

> Right now, when running it from the build directory `nt/oo-spd/i386', it
> can't find `emacs.exe'.

It looks for emacs.exe in the same directory where runemacs.exe lives.

> Can we either
>
>   let `runemacs.exe' check not only its current directory, but also the
>   `src' build directory for an `emacs.exe'

This is not easy, since the `i386' part is not known by the binary,
AFAIK.

> or
>
>   add a command line option for `runemacs.exe' to provide a path to
>   `emacs.exe'

This is possible.  We could, for example, add a -dir switch that would
tell runemacs.exe in which directory to look for emacs.exe.

That is, assuming that the "make install" technique somehow does not
satisfy your needs.

* Re: runemacs.exe without installing Emacs
@ 2011-04-03 17:24   ` Christoph Scholtes
From: Christoph Scholtes @ 2011-04-03 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Eli and Juanma,

On 4/2/2011 12:30 PM, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> what are your reasons for not installing? I ask because if what you do
> not want is copying the files to another place, there's always the
> posibility of in-place installations; that's what I always do. And if
> you use the new install-bin target, instead of install, you don't even
> run addpm.exe.

`make install-bin' works just fine. IIRC, I even added the target for
`make dist'. Brainfart^2.

Sorry for the noise.

@ 2011-04-03 18:30     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-04-03 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Scholtes; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 19:24, Christoph Scholtes
<cschol2112@googlemail.com> wrote:

> `make install-bin' works just fine. IIRC, I even added the target for `make
> dist'. Brainfart^2.

Oooh, that's too funny ;-)

    Juanma