all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* IZarc problem extracting emacs-24.2.tar.xz
@ 2013-01-28 20:34 Bug Dout
       [not found] ` <mailman.18502.1359407692.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bug Dout @ 2013-01-28 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Windows 7x64 with lots of memory, HD, blah blah.

After I used IZarc to extract emacs-24.2 to disk, I noticed that some
files were missing. For instance, .../etc/{DOC,DOC-X} were not
extracted. The missing files caused problems when using Emacs.

The solution was to use 7Zip to extract the files which worked fine. Why
IZarc had troubles is a mystery to me but rather than figure it out I
uninstalled it.  FYI to future Emacsiens with this problem.
--
If you ever teach a yodeling class, probably the hardest thing is
to keep the students from just trying to yodel right off. You

* Re: IZarc problem extracting emacs-24.2.tar.xz
@ 2013-01-28 21:12 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.18502.1359407692.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bug Dout; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.01.2013 um 21:34 schrieb Bug Dout:

> I noticed that some files were missing. For instance, .../etc/{DOC,DOC-X} were not extracted.

These files are not source code files or needed to build GNU Emacs so they are not included in the sources archive.

FYI, these files are generated when GNU Emacs is built. The contents of these files depends on which Elisp files are loaded by src/temacs and then dumped into src/emacs.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh.

@ 2013-02-01 16:20   ` Bug Dout
From: Bug Dout @ 2013-02-01 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 28.01.2013 um 21:34 schrieb Bug Dout:
>
>> I noticed that some files were missing. For instance, .../etc/{DOC,DOC-X} were not extracted.
>
> These files are not source code files or needed to build GNU Emacs so
> they are not included in the sources archive.

Your comment is correct and irrelevant. Those files are needed when
using Emacs; and few users of Emacs on Windows will want to build Emacs
anyway. There is something quite wrong with IZArc. Use 7Zip or similar
instead.
--
Nothing unites the English like war. Nothing divides them like
Picasso.

* Re: IZarc problem extracting emacs-24.2.tar.xz
@ 2013-02-02  2:03     ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.18836.1359793101.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-02-02  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> I noticed that some files were missing. For instance,
>>> .../etc/{DOC,DOC-X} were not extracted.
>> These files are not source code files or needed to build GNU Emacs so
>> they are not included in the sources archive.
> Your comment is correct and irrelevant.

It's quite relevant: those files are not part of the tarball, so it's not
a bug in IZArc that those files "are not extracted" (I still
recommend you stay away from IZArc, since it is proprietary software).
You can use djtarnt among many other Free Software alternatives.

> Those files are needed when using Emacs;

And they're created from the content of the tarball.

> and few users of Emacs on Windows will want to build Emacs anyway.

But I expect that most/all those who download and extract
emacs-24.2.tar.xz will want to build Emacs, since there's not much else
they can do with it.

> There is something quite wrong with IZArc.

Indeed: it is proprietary.

* Re: IZarc problem extracting emacs-24.2.tar.xz
@ 2013-02-02  8:18       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.18836.1359793101.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-02-02  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 21:03:23 -0500
>
> You can use djtarnt among many other Free Software alternatives.

djtarnt doesn't support .tar.xz archives.  But bsdtar, which is part
of the libarchive package, does support it (as well as gazillions of
other formats, most anything you will find out there).  It is free
software and its Windows binaries can be found here:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/libarchive-3.0.3-w32-bin.zip/download

@ 2013-02-20  1:43         ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2013-02-20  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.18836.1359793101.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 21:03:23 -0500
>>
>> You can use djtarnt among many other Free Software alternatives.
>
>djtarnt doesn't support .tar.xz archives.  But bsdtar, which is part
>of the libarchive package, does support it (as well as gazillions of
>other formats, most anything you will find out there).  It is free
>software and its Windows binaries can be found here:
>
>  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/libarchive-3.0.3-w32-bin.zip/download

What about gtar?

David

* Re: IZarc problem extracting emacs-24.2.tar.xz
@ 2013-02-20 18:40           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-02-20 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 01:43:54 +0000 (UTC)
>
> >djtarnt doesn't support .tar.xz archives.  But bsdtar, which is part
> >of the libarchive package, does support it (as well as gazillions of
> >other formats, most anything you will find out there).  It is free
> >software and its Windows binaries can be found here:
> >
> >  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/libarchive-3.0.3-w32-bin.zip/download
> >

> What about gtar?

What's that?  If you mean GNU Tar, then AFAIK it doesn't support
.tar.xz, except if you have a separate xz program installed (which is
rare on Windows).

The advantage of bsdtar is that it performs all the decompression
internally, so no additional programs are needed.