all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* In RMAIL how do you search for messages with a particular string?...
@ 2013-03-26  8:47 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2013-03-26  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

In RMAIL how do you search for messages with a particular string?...
ESC-s didn't work !

* Re: In RMAIL how do you search for messages with a particular string?...
@ 2013-03-26  9:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-03-26  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 04:47:46 -0400
>
> In RMAIL how do you search for messages with a particular string?...
> ESC-s didn't work !

ESC-s or M-s do work for me.  What "didn't work" for you, exactly?

One possible gotcha is that you need to go to the first message in the
folder (C-u 1 j) before starting the search, because M-s searches
forward from the current message.

* Re: In RMAIL how do you search for messages with a particular string?...
@ 2013-03-26  9:57   ` Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2013-03-26  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> In RMAIL how do you search for messages with a particular string?...
>> ESC-s didn't work !

> ESC-s or M-s do work for me.  What "didn't work" for you, exactly?

Wrong type argument: listp, 40

a) Any idea what that means?... b) why did it appear?

@ 2013-03-26 10:08     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-03-26 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 05:57:29 -0400
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> >> In RMAIL how do you search for messages with a particular string?...
> >> ESC-s didn't work !
>
> > ESC-s or M-s do work for me.  What "didn't work" for you, exactly?
>
> Wrong type argument: listp, 40

Right after typing ESC-s, or after you typed some regexp at its
prompt?  If the latter, what did you type at the prompt?

> a) Any idea what that means?... b) why did it appear?

Set debug-on-error to a non-nil value and see what's in the backtrace.

Oh, and make sure ESC-s indeed invokes rmail-search and not something
else (use "C-h c" to see the binding).

* Re: In RMAIL how do you search for messages with a particular string?...
@ 2013-03-26 10:47       ` Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2013-03-26 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In RMAIL how do you search for messages with a particular string?...
ESC-s didn't work !

>> ESC-s or M-s do work for me.  What "didn't work" for you, exactly?

Wrong type argument: listp, 40

>> Right after typing ESC-s, or after you typed some regexp at its
>> prompt?

After ESC-s

>         If the latter, what did you type at the prompt?

365text