all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-q on comments in source code
@ 2014-05-24 11:37 lee
From: lee @ 2014-05-24 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

modes like c-mode indent comments with the code, which is fine as an end
result and not so ideal when writing them.  To give an example:

,----
| 			if(full)
| 				{
| 					//
| 					// A max value might be removed when the arrays are shifted.  In
| 					// that case, find a new one after shifting.  Otherwise, the max
`----

Now press M-q to format the comment and the above looks like this:

,----
| 			if(full)
| 				{
| 					//
| 					// A max value might be
| 					// removed when the arrays are
| 					// shifted.  In that case,
| 					// find a new one after
| 					// shifting.  Otherwise, the
| 					// max continues to be known.
`----

This formatting is a bit silly ...  What can I do to get the comments
formatted as in the first example, i. e. the comment indented with the
source but with each line trimmed to a length of about max 75
characters, not counting the indentation?

I can manually unindent the lines, edit them, format them and reindent
them, and I`m looking for a better way.  Even something like
auto-fill-mode for comments that does it automatically would be nice.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.