all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#18480: 24.3.93; Popups "broken" with lines of different heights
@ 2014-09-15 10:26 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-09-15 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18480-ubl+/3LiMTaZdePnXv/OxA

Hello,

As demo'ed with this Org file, enabling completion mechanisms such as AC
or Company shows graphical glitches when themes have heights != 1.0.

#+TITLE: ECM for popup
#+DATE: \today

* Context

When using a theme (such as Leuven theme) with different heights, the completion
popups are graphically broken.

* Title inserted here on purpose

The above title spreads away part of the nice popup window.

** Other subtitle

Foo.

Screenshots:

- http://screencast.com/t/oA0vurx3 for Auto-Complete
- http://screencast.com/t/OgP9vMBobjV for Company

Video:

See http://screencast.com/t/NNKTO7Nrivz:
- first enabling only AC mode
- then only Company mode

Best regards,
Seb

* bug#18480: 24.3.93; Popups "broken" with lines of different heights
@ 2014-09-15 15:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-09-15 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: 18480

> From: Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:26:15 +0200
>
> As demo'ed with this Org file, enabling completion mechanisms such as AC
> or Company shows graphical glitches when themes have heights != 1.0.

Since neither of these packages is part of Emacs, I think you should

* bug#18480: 24.3.93; Popups "broken" with lines of different heights
@ 2014-09-15 19:13   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-09-15 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, 18480

>> As demo'ed with this Org file, enabling completion mechanisms such as AC
>> or Company shows graphical glitches when themes have heights != 1.0.
> Since neither of these packages is part of Emacs, I think you should

Since Company is part of GNU ELPA, I think it's OK to report its bugs here.
In any case, I'm pretty sure this is a known limitation that will only
be lifted when those packages start using "lightweight frames" or "GUI
menus" or something like that, and I think those will require changes to
the C code.

* bug#18480: 24.3.93; Popups "broken" with lines of different heights
@ 2014-09-15 19:55     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-09-15 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: sva-news, 18480

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>,  18480@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:13:48 -0400
>
> >> As demo'ed with this Org file, enabling completion mechanisms such as AC
> >> or Company shows graphical glitches when themes have heights != 1.0.
> > Since neither of these packages is part of Emacs, I think you should
>
> Since Company is part of GNU ELPA, I think it's OK to report its bugs here.
> In any case, I'm pretty sure this is a known limitation that will only
> be lifted when those packages start using "lightweight frames" or "GUI
> menus" or something like that, and I think those will require changes to
> the C code.

Maybe so, but I think the respective developers should first be given
chance to fix this or improve it, if they can.  Only if the developers
come to the conclusion that there are fundamental problems that
prevent the solution, then they should come here with the details.

Alternatively, the OP could look into the sources and make sure these
are not simple bugs in those packages, then explain all that in the
report.

Failing any of these, I don't see how filing this report can be of any
use.  I mean, who will look at this?

* bug#18480: 24.3.93; Popups "broken" with lines of different heights
@ 2014-09-16  0:13       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-09-16  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: sva-news, 18480

> Failing any of these, I don't see how filing this report can be of any
> use.  I mean, who will look at this?

To the extent that I'd like to fold the core of Company into Emacs, we
will ;-)

* bug#18480: 24.3.93; Popups "broken" with lines of different heights
@ 2016-02-19  8:34         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-02-19  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: sva-news, 18480

On 2014-09-15, at 21:13, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> Failing any of these, I don't see how filing this report can be of any
>> use.  I mean, who will look at this?
>
> To the extent that I'd like to fold the core of Company into Emacs, we
> will ;-)

Just to ask: are we closing this?

>         Stefan

Best,

--
mbork

* bug#18480: 24.3.93; Popups "broken" with lines of different heights
@ 2016-02-19  8:57           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-19  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: sva-news, 18480, monnier

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  18480@debbugs.gnu.org,  sva-news@mygooglest.com
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 09:34:39 +0100
>
> On 2014-09-15, at 21:13, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
> >> Failing any of these, I don't see how filing this report can be of any
> >> use.  I mean, who will look at this?
> >
> > To the extent that I'd like to fold the core of Company into Emacs, we
> > will ;-)
>
> Just to ask: are we closing this?

FWIW, I'd still like to hear from the maintainers of the respective
packages.  I don't see any of them speak their mind about this bug
report.

Thanks.

* bug#18480: 24.3.93; Popups "broken" with lines of different heights
@ 2016-02-19  9:22             ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2016-02-19  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: sva-news, 18480, monnier

On 02/19/2016 10:57 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Just to ask: are we closing this?

The bug is still present.

> FWIW, I'd still like to hear from the maintainers of the respective
> packages.  I don't see any of them speak their mind about this bug
> report.

Clément is looking into the alternatives, and it seems like he'll end up
implementing the necessary changes in the core himself.

* bug#18480: 24.3.93; Popups "broken" with lines of different heights
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-19 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: sva-news, 18480, mbork, monnier

> Cc: sva-news@mygooglest.com, 18480@debbugs.gnu.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 11:22:47 +0200
>
> On 02/19/2016 10:57 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I'd still like to hear from the maintainers of the respective
> > packages.  I don't see any of them speak their mind about this bug
> > report.
>
> Clément is looking into the alternatives, and it seems like he'll end up
> implementing the necessary changes in the core himself.

Thanks.  So I think we should leave this open and wait for the
resolution.