all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: esr@thyrsus.com
Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Maintainership
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:51:20 +0200	[thread overview]

> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 23:09:40 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> You have expressed "100% agreement" with a post objecting to me doing /etc
> cleanup during feature freeze.

The objection is only to doing this on the trunk.  I suggest doing
this on a branch instead, then you can do whatever you like without
affecting anyone else (unless they want to be affected).

You can do that on a local branch, in which case the procedures are as
described on the Wiki, under "task branch" (whcih you are already
familiar with).  Or you can push that branch to Savannah, in which
case it becomes a public one, and will get converted into the git
mirror, so that both you and others can try it with git and/or with
bzr.  The Wiki describes how to push.

Then you can merge the branch onto the trunk when we all agree that
the time came for that.

P.S.  While you work on a branch, it is generally advisable to merge
from trunk once in a few days.  But since the trunk is in feature
freeze now, and until that freeze is over, you can do the merges much
less frequently.