all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Backing up abbrev_defs?
@ 2019-07-30 13:37 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2019-07-30 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can some kind soul help me out please?

I want to backup my abbrev_defs file exactly the same as everything else is backed up, i.e. when there is a change to it, a backup is triggered to save it in ~/.emacs.d/backups. Although the position is slightly complicated as its not normally open in any buffer, so the backup would presumably have to be triggered on the source files changing.

I've googled but haven't found any instances of it being backed up, so there isn't anything seemingly available for me to hack from or with. So can some kind soul help with some working code, or guidance to a non-programmer to achieve this please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 10.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 26.2, org 9.2.4

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Backing up abbrev_defs?
@ 2019-07-30 14:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-07-30 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 14:37:57 +0100
>
> I want to backup my abbrev_defs file exactly the same as everything else is backed up, i.e. when there is a change to it, a backup is triggered to save it in ~/.emacs.d/backups. Although the position is slightly complicated as its not normally open in any buffer, so the backup would presumably have to be triggered on the source files changing.
>
> I've googled but haven't found any instances of it being backed up, so there isn't anything seemingly available for me to hack from or with. So can some kind soul help with some working code, or guidance to a non-programmer to achieve this please?

I don't understand the question.  Are you saying that when you save
your abbrevs, Emacs doesn't create a backup file for abbrev_defs, as
it does for any other file you save?

* Re: Backing up abbrev_defs?
@ 2019-07-30 15:12   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2019-07-30 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
>> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 14:37:57 +0100
>>
>> I want to backup my abbrev_defs file exactly the same as everything else is backed up, i.e. when
>> there is a change to it, a backup is triggered to save it in ~/.emacs.d/backups. Although the
>> position is slightly complicated as its not normally open in any buffer, so the backup would
>> presumably have to be triggered on the source files changing.
>>
>> I've googled but haven't found any instances of it being backed up, so there isn't anything
>> seemingly available for me to hack from or with. So can some kind soul help with some working
>> code, or guidance to a non-programmer to achieve this please?
>
> I don't understand the question.  Are you saying that when you save
> your abbrevs, Emacs doesn't create a backup file for abbrev_defs, as
> it does for any other file you save?

No! No backup created from it at all! Which I found was rather strange, hence my request.

@ 2019-07-30 15:38     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-07-30 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 16:12:17 +0100
>
> > I don't understand the question.  Are you saying that when you save
> > your abbrevs, Emacs doesn't create a backup file for abbrev_defs, as
> > it does for any other file you save?
>
> No! No backup created from it at all! Which I found was rather strange, hence my request.

What command(s) did you invoke to save your abbrevs?

* Re: Backing up abbrev_defs?
@ 2019-07-30 21:07       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2019-07-30 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 16:12:17 +0100
>>
>> > I don't understand the question.  Are you saying that when you save
>> > your abbrevs, Emacs doesn't create a backup file for abbrev_defs, as
>> > it does for any other file you save?
>>
>> No! No backup created from it at all! Which I found was rather strange, hence my request.
>
> What command(s) did you invoke to save your abbrevs?

C-c C-c

@ 2019-08-02  9:13         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-08-02  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 22:07:07 +0100
>
> >> No! No backup created from it at all! Which I found was rather strange, hence my request.
> >
> > What command(s) did you invoke to save your abbrevs?
>
> C-c C-c

I suggest to submit a bug report using "M-x report-emacs-bug".  I
clearly see on my machine a backup file for abbrev_defs, but upon
reviewing the code in abbrevs.el I don't think that backup file was
created by Emacs.  So this sounds like a missing feature.

Meanwhile, you could work around by editing the abbrev_defs file
directly, as opposed to saving it with C-c C-c.