all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hiding files in dired ?
@ 2021-11-18  4:16 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2021-11-18  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm aware of dired-do-kill-lines hiding all marked files in the current
directory buffer.  My question is how to combine the (multiple) marks
and kill into one key.  I suppose I could combine several
dired-mark-files-regexp and the kill into a macro, but I was wondering
if there is something more elegant (flexible?).

Side question: where is the syntax for Emacs regexp documented?
--
David Masterson

* Re: Hiding files in dired ?
@ 2021-11-18  7:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-18  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com>
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 20:16:47 -0800
>
> Side question: where is the syntax for Emacs regexp documented?

In the manuals, of course.  Each one of the two manuals has a chapter
which documents that.

* RE: [External] : Hiding files in dired ?
@ 2021-11-18 16:28 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2021-11-18 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I'm aware of dired-do-kill-lines hiding all marked files in the current
> directory buffer.  My question is how to combine the (multiple) marks
> and kill into one key.  I suppose I could combine several
> dired-mark-files-regexp and the kill into a macro, but I was wondering
> if there is something more elegant (flexible?).

Not clear to me what you're asking.  Are you asking
how to both _mark_ multiple files and _act_ on those
that are marked, with one key?  There are zillions
of different ways of marking files.
___

You also have other ways to hide files:
`dired-hide-all' - all subdir listings
`$' - one subdir listing
`dired-omit-mode' - files matching regexp or extension

> Side question: where is the syntax for Emacs regexp documented?

The Elisp manual.