all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Automatically highlight all same occurrence of same stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
@ 2023-05-21  0:47 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-05-21  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi here,

In an Emacs buffer, I want to let it automatically highlight all same
occurrence of some stuff which has been currently marked/selected.

Say, I have the following:

foo ...
.. bar...
baz foo

Then when I select one of the `foo` above, the two `foo`s will be
highlighted automatically. Any tips for achieving this?

Regards,
Zhao
--
Assoc. Prof. Hongsheng Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
Theory and Simulation of Materials

* Re: Automatically highlight all same occurrence of same stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
@ 2023-05-21  1:13 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-05-21  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> Say, I have the following:
>
> foo ...
> .. bar...
> baz foo
>
> Then when I select one of the `foo` above, the two `foo`s will be
> highlighted automatically. Any tips for achieving this?

"high-lock.el" - in particular, M-x highlight-regexp ...?  Should even
catch the region string as DEFAULT for the regexp (not regexp-quoted
though).

Michael.

* Re: Automatically highlight all same occurrence of same stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
@ 2023-05-21  1:44   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-05-21  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 9:14 AM Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Say, I have the following:
> >
> > foo ...
> > .. bar...
> > baz foo
> >
> > Then when I select one of the `foo` above, the two `foo`s will be
> > highlighted automatically. Any tips for achieving this?
>
> "high-lock.el" - in particular, M-x highlight-regexp ...?  Should even
> catch the region string as DEFAULT for the regexp (not regexp-quoted
> though).

The following packages do the trick:

(use-package idle-highlight-mode
  :config (setq idle-highlight-idle-time 0.2)
  (idle-highlight-global-mode)
  ;; :hook ((prog-mode text-mode) . idle-highlight-mode)
  )

(use-package symbol-overlay
  :config
  (symbol-overlay-mode)
  (global-set-key (kbd "M-i") 'symbol-overlay-put)
  (global-set-key (kbd "M-n") 'symbol-overlay-switch-forward)
  (global-set-key (kbd "M-p") 'symbol-overlay-switch-backward)
  ;; (global-set-key (kbd "<f7>") 'symbol-overlay-mode)
  (global-set-key (kbd "<f8>") 'symbol-overlay-remove-all)
  )

> Michael.

Zhao

* Re: Automatically highlight all same occurrence of same stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
@ 2023-05-21  7:17 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2023-05-21  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi here,
>
> In an Emacs buffer, I want to let it automatically highlight all same
> occurrence of some stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
>
> Say, I have the following:
>
> foo ...
> .. bar...
> baz foo
>
> Then when I select one of the `foo` above, the two `foo`s will be
> highlighted automatically. Any tips for achieving this?

I have this command

;;;; Search the selected region
(defun site/isearch-region (start end)
  "Start isearch with the contents between START and END."
  (interactive (if (use-region-p)
                   (list (region-beginning) (region-end))
                 (user-error "No region")))
  (when (and start end)
    (deactivate-mark)
    (isearch-mode t)
    (isearch-yank-string (buffer-substring start end))))

(global-set-key (kbd "M-s M-s") #'site/isearch-region)

that searches for whatever is selected.  That also highlights every
occurrence.

@ 2023-05-22 11:16   ` Daniel Martín
From: Daniel Martín @ 2023-05-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

> I have this command
>
> ;;;; Search the selected region
> (defun site/isearch-region (start end)
>   "Start isearch with the contents between START and END."
>   (interactive (if (use-region-p)
>                    (list (region-beginning) (region-end))
>                  (user-error "No region")))
>   (when (and start end)
>     (deactivate-mark)
>     (isearch-mode t)
>     (isearch-yank-string (buffer-substring start end))))
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "M-s M-s") #'site/isearch-region)
>
> that searches for whatever is selected.  That also highlights every
> occurrence.

And, since Emacs 28.1, one can select the region and press M-s
M-. (`isearch-forward-thing-at-point`).  By default, Emacs will try to
search for the active region first (see `isearch-forward-thing-at-point`
to customize this behavior).

* Re: Automatically highlight all same occurrence of same stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
@ 2023-05-25 13:27     ` Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2023-05-25 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martín, Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

> And, since Emacs 28.1, one can select the region and press M-s
> M-. (`isearch-forward-thing-at-point`).

Or, simply M-s . (which is much better for touch typists).

Rudy
--
"The introduction of suitable abstractions is our only mental aid to
organize and master complexity."

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia

* Re: Automatically highlight all same occurrence of same stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
@ 2023-05-25 14:29       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-05-25 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič
  Cc: Daniel Martín, Philip Kaludercic, help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 9:27 PM Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> wrote:

> Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:
>
> > And, since Emacs 28.1, one can select the region and press M-s
> > M-. (`isearch-forward-thing-at-point`).
>
> Or, simply M-s . (which is much better for touch typists).

Failed, as shown in the attached file.

> Rudy

Zhao

> --
> "The introduction of suitable abstractions is our only mental aid to
> organize and master complexity."
> -- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra, 1930-2002
>
> Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
> Studenohorská 25
> 84103 Bratislava
> Slovakia

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 179257 bytes --]

* Re: Automatically highlight all same occurrence of same stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
@ 2023-05-25 14:35         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-05-25 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 10:29:20PM +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 9:27 PM Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> wrote:
> >
> > Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:
> >
> > > And, since Emacs 28.1, one can select the region and press M-s
> > > M-. (`isearch-forward-thing-at-point`).
> >
> > Or, simply M-s . (which is much better for touch typists).
>
> Failed, as shown in the attached file.

I can't currently look at images in mails, but what I do to search
selected is simply C-s C-y (i.e. yanking the selection into the
search term query).

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Automatically highlight all same occurrence of same stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
@ 2023-05-25 15:31       ` Daniel Martín
From: Daniel Martín @ 2023-05-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:
>
>> And, since Emacs 28.1, one can select the region and press M-s
>> M-. (`isearch-forward-thing-at-point`).
>
> Or, simply M-s . (which is much better for touch typists).

No, it's not the same command.  M-s . will always search for the symbol
at point, but it won't take the region into account.

M-s M-. is an Emacs 28 generalization of M-s ., for things other than
symbols.

* Re: Automatically highlight all same occurrence of same stuff which has been currently marked/selected.
@ 2023-05-26 11:47         ` Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2023-05-26 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martín; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

> No, it's not the same command.  M-s . will always search for the symbol
> at point, but it won't take the region into account.
>
> M-s M-. is an Emacs 28 generalization of M-s ., for things other than
> symbols.

Oh, thank you for the heads up!  TIL and notes updated.

Rudy
--
"It is no paradox to say that in our most theoretical moods we may be
nearest to our most practical applications."

@ 2023-05-26 12:26           ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-05-26 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič
  Cc: Daniel Martín, Philip Kaludercic, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 7:47 PM Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> wrote:

> Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:
>
> > No, it's not the same command.  M-s . will always search for the symbol
> > at point, but it won't take the region into account.
> >
> > M-s M-. is an Emacs 28 generalization of M-s ., for things other than
> > symbols.
>
> Oh, thank you for the heads up!  TIL and notes updated.

What's the meaning of TIL?

> Rudy

Zhao

@ 2023-05-26 12:38             ` Eli Zaretskii