all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Source and compiling instructions for old version of Emacs (< 19.x)
@ 2009-07-31 20:18 Earl Kent
From: Earl Kent @ 2009-07-31 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I'm working on some research projects on the history of text editor
technologies and more generally the early days of the free software
movement.  As part of that research I would like to compile, on a
contemporary Linux distribution, runnable, early versions of the code,
say circa `88.  I've looked all over the Internet the only early version
of emacs I can find is of 18.59, which is already 1992.

Does anyone know of earlier versions and have
instructions/scripts/patches for compiling it for Linux?  (Even early
versions of 19.x took a lot of hacking for me to get up and running and
I still can't 18.59 to run without seg-fault on startup.)

Editorial:  the initial releases of the GNU system, written largely by
Stallman, stand as one of the great intellectual accomplishments of the
20th century, not just of hackerdom, but really across all human
endeavors.  Not having compilable, runnable versions of them, or even
the source code, makes them in some sense lost works, even as their
derived works, current Emacs, and inspired works, all modern editors,
flourish.  On aspect of my research is to set up a project to keep these
things runnable on latest versions of Linux with as little patching as
possible.

Thanks for any help ore pointers to others who have worked on this!

[-- Attachment #2: earl_kent.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Earl Kent
n:Kent;Earl
email;internet:earl.kent@gmail.com
tel;work:415.596.2053
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: Source and compiling instructions for old version of Emacs (< 19.x)
@ 2009-07-31 20:55 ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2009-07-31 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Earl Kent; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2009-07-31 22:18 +0200, Earl Kent wrote:

> I'm working on some research projects on the history of text editor
> technologies and more generally the early days of the free software
> movement.  As part of that research I would like to compile, on a
> contemporary Linux distribution, runnable, early versions of the code,
> say circa `88.  I've looked all over the Internet the only early
> version of emacs I can find is of 18.59, which is already 1992.
>
> Does anyone know of earlier versions and have
> instructions/scripts/patches for compiling it for Linux?  (Even early
> versions of 19.x took a lot of hacking for me to get up and running
> and I still can't 18.59 to run without seg-fault on startup.)

The Gentoo project still supports Emacs 18.59, it seems:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/emacs/emacs.xml.

Two older versions, 16.56 and 18.41, are available at
http://matt.lee.name/gnu/MIT/gnu/.  Getting these to build will be a
formidable task, I suspect.

Sven

* Re: Source and compiling instructions for old version of Emacs (< 19.x)
@ 2009-08-01  3:21 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-08-01  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Earl Kent; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I'm working on some research projects on the history of text editor
    technologies and more generally the early days of the free software
    movement.  As part of that research I would like to compile, on a
    contemporary Linux distribution,

Linux is a kernel.  Linux alone is not a sufficient platform to run
any version of GNU Emacs.  You probably mean a GNU/Linux distribution,
which consists of the GNU system and Linux together.

Please don't call the GNU system "Linux" -- it is unfair to us
and it is harmful to our work.

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html for more explanation
of this, and http://www.gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html for the
historical background.

Someone, FSF staff I think, found a copy of Emacs 16 for me a few
months ago.  If you promise never to call the whole system "Linux", I
will ask them to dig it up for you.

* Re: Source and compiling instructions for old version of Emacs (<  19.x)
@ 2009-08-01  4:45   ` Earl Kent
From: Earl Kent @ 2009-08-01  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Please don't call the GNU system "Linux" -- it is unfair to us
> and it is harmful to our work.

That was a careless mistake on my part.  Sorry!

> Someone, FSF staff I think, found a copy of Emacs 16 for me a few
> months ago.  If you promise never to call the whole system "Linux", I
> will ask them to dig it up for you.

I promise, and would be much obliged.

* Re: Source and compiling instructions for old version of Emacs (< 19.x)
@ 2009-08-01  7:37   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-08-01  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:21:52 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Someone, FSF staff I think, found a copy of Emacs 16 for me a few
> months ago.

How about uploading it to ftp.gnu.org?

* Re: Source and compiling instructions for old version of Emacs (< 19.x)
@ 2009-08-03 21:25     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-08-03 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>> Someone, FSF staff I think, found a copy of Emacs 16 for me a few
>> months ago.
> How about uploading it to ftp.gnu.org?

Add it to the CVS repository?