all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Face of wrap-prefix in adaptive-wrap
@ 2013-08-21  7:06 Frank Fischer
From: Frank Fischer @ 2013-08-21  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I often use visual-line-mode together with adaptive-wrap-mode when
writing certain kinds of text (in particular LaTeX). However, It seems
as if the prefix-text in the wrapped lines does not share the face of
the original prefix in the first visual line: screenshot [1] shows an
emacs-lisp buffer with a wrapped comment. The (comment) prefix of the
successive lines is black instead of red.

The problem becomes more apparent when used in conjunction with
variable-width fonts, which I use with LaTeX files [2]. The first
wrapped line has again a comment prefix, but the successive lines seem
to use the wrong (fixed width) font. The second wrapped line has only a
whitespace prefix, but again the wrap-prefix seems to use the wrong font
(with "larger" spaces) causing a too large indentation of the successive
lines (I would expect the successive lines to have exactly the same
indentation as the first visual line). This problem gets
worse as the indentation of the first line is increased.

IIRC the problem did not exist in Emacs 23 (the examples are all with
Emacs 24.2.1), where the wrap-prefix always had the same font as the
original prefix (but I may be wrong).

Is there a way to make the wrap-prefix have the same font/face as the
original prefix?

Best regards,
Frank Fischer

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~fifr/ex-awrap1.png

[2]  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~fifr/ex-awrap2.png

* Re: Face of wrap-prefix in adaptive-wrap
@ 2013-08-21 15:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-08-21 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Frank Fischer <frank.fischer@mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de>
> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:06:03 +0200
>
> I often use visual-line-mode together with adaptive-wrap-mode when
> writing certain kinds of text (in particular LaTeX). However, It seems
> as if the prefix-text in the wrapped lines does not share the face of
> the original prefix in the first visual line: screenshot [1] shows an
> emacs-lisp buffer with a wrapped comment. The (comment) prefix of the
> successive lines is black instead of red.
>
> The problem becomes more apparent when used in conjunction with
> variable-width fonts, which I use with LaTeX files [2]. The first
> wrapped line has again a comment prefix, but the successive lines seem
> to use the wrong (fixed width) font. The second wrapped line has only a
> whitespace prefix, but again the wrap-prefix seems to use the wrong font
> (with "larger" spaces) causing a too large indentation of the successive
> lines (I would expect the successive lines to have exactly the same
> indentation as the first visual line). This problem gets
> worse as the indentation of the first line is increased.
>
> IIRC the problem did not exist in Emacs 23 (the examples are all with
> Emacs 24.2.1), where the wrap-prefix always had the same font as the
> original prefix (but I may be wrong).
>
> Is there a way to make the wrap-prefix have the same font/face as the
> original prefix?

I suggest to create a simple test case, starting with "emacs -Q", and
report it as a bug with "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".  Then the Emacs
maintainers could see if this indeed worked in previous versions, and
what will it take to do what you want.