all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* read-only buffer
@ 2015-01-22  6:59 jirka.senkyr
From: jirka.senkyr @ 2015-01-22  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.
In my emacs when I open a file which under a version control (SVN) the buffer is read-only. I do not want it. It's pretty annoying especially when using tags-query-replace. Then I need to make each buffer that opens by the tags-query-replace command writable by hitting C-x C-q. But by doing so tags-query-replace is terminated and I need to run it again and again and again....

I have searched emacs help and internet but haven't found a clue.

Does anybody know, how can I make emacs to open version controlled files in writable buffer?

Thanks,
Jiri

* Re: read-only buffer
@ 2015-01-22  8:09 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-01-22  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jirka.senkyr; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

jirka.senkyr@gmail.com writes:

Hi Jiri,

> In my emacs when I open a file which under a version control (SVN) the
> buffer is read-only.  I do not want it.

That's definitely not the standard behavior.  Is it possible that you
don't have write permissions for the files in that SVN checkout?  In
that case, emacs would find the file read-only.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: read-only buffer
@ 2015-01-22 11:09   ` Jiří Šenkýř
From: Jiří Šenkýř @ 2015-01-22 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiří Šenkýř, help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Tassilo.
I do have a write permissions for these files.
I might have mentioned then I'm using Cygwin under Windows. Don't know if
it's a clue.

Thanks,
Jiri

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> jirka.senkyr@gmail.com writes:
>
> Hi Jiri,
>
> > In my emacs when I open a file which under a version control (SVN) the
> > buffer is read-only.  I do not want it.
>
> That's definitely not the standard behavior.  Is it possible that you
> don't have write permissions for the files in that SVN checkout?  In
> that case, emacs would find the file read-only.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

* Re: read-only buffer
@ 2015-01-22 14:58     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.18359.1421942221.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-01-22 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiří Šenkýř; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jiří Šenkýř <jirka.senkyr@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jiří,

> I do have a write permissions for these files.

Ok, too bad.  That would have been a likely cause.

> I might have mentioned then I'm using Cygwin under Windows.  Don't
> know if it's a clue.

I don't have neither here to test but I guess others would have
complained much earlier if that would always happen.

Did you try opening such a file with "emacs -Q" just to rule out the
problem is caused by your init files or third-party packages?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: read-only buffer
@ 2015-01-22 15:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.18359.1421942221.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-22 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 12:09:48 +0100
> From: Jiří Šenkýř <jirka.senkyr@gmail.com>
>
> I might have mentioned then I'm using Cygwin under Windows. Don't know if
> it's a clue.

Which parts are from Cygwin?  Emacs and SVN, only Emacs, only SVN,
something else?

* Re: read-only buffer
@ 2015-01-23  6:25       ` Jiří Šenkýř
From: Jiří Šenkýř @ 2015-01-23  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiří Šenkýř, help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Tassilo.
When I run emacs with -Q option it does the same, all buffers with SVN
files are read-only by default.

Thanks,
Jiri

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Jiří Šenkýř <jirka.senkyr@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Jiří,
>
> > I do have a write permissions for these files.
>
> Ok, too bad.  That would have been a likely cause.
>
> > I might have mentioned then I'm using Cygwin under Windows.  Don't
> > know if it's a clue.
>
> I don't have neither here to test but I guess others would have
> complained much earlier if that would always happen.
>
> Did you try opening such a file with "emacs -Q" just to rule out the
> problem is caused by your init files or third-party packages?
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

* Re: read-only buffer
       [not found]     ` <mailman.18359.1421942221.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-12  6:12       ` jirka.senkyr
From: jirka.senkyr @ 2015-02-12  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 4:57:03 PM UTC+1, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 12:09:48 +0100
> > From: Jiří Šenkýř <jirka.senkyr@gmail.com>
> >
> > I might have mentioned then I'm using Cygwin under Windows. Don't know if
> > it's a clue.
>
> Which parts are from Cygwin?  Emacs and SVN, only Emacs, only SVN,
> something else?

Emacs is cygwin, SVN is windows.

* Re: read-only buffer
@ 2015-02-12  6:47         ` jirka.senkyr
From: jirka.senkyr @ 2015-02-12  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 7:12:04 AM UTC+1, jirka....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 4:57:03 PM UTC+1, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 12:09:48 +0100
> > > From: Jiří Šenkýř <jirka.senkyr@gmail.com>
> > >
> > > I might have mentioned then I'm using Cygwin under Windows. Don't know if
> > > it's a clue.
> >
> > Which parts are from Cygwin?  Emacs and SVN, only Emacs, only SVN,
> > something else?
>
> Emacs is cygwin, SVN is windows.

OK. It looks like the problem is in mismatch of file permissions between Windows and Cygwin. After I ran chmod +w emacs opens files in writable buffer.

* Re: read-only buffer
@ 2015-02-12 15:33           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-02-12 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 22:47:13 -0800 (PST)
> From: jirka.senkyr@gmail.com

> > > Which parts are from Cygwin?  Emacs and SVN, only Emacs, only SVN,
> > > something else?
> >
> > Emacs is cygwin, SVN is windows.
>
> OK. It looks like the problem is in mismatch of file permissions between Windows and Cygwin. After I ran chmod +w emacs opens files in writable buffer.

Right, it figures: Cygwin implements Posix permission bits in a way
that native Windows programs (in this case SVN) don't understand, and
vice versa.