all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gitlog-to-changelog
@ 2015-04-09  9:23 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-09  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

This scripts infloops on MS-Windows.  The problem is this fragment:

      my $date_line = sprintf "%s  %s$tiny\n",
        strftime ("%F", localtime ($1)), $2;

If I replace "%F" with the equivalent "%Y-%m-%d", the script runs to
completion and produces a ChangeLog file.  Should I fix this in the
Emacs repository, or is the script maintained elsewhere?

Also, I see 2 additional minor issues with the script:

 . It doesn't add the 'coding:' cookie at the end of the produced file.
 . It unconditionally overwrites any local file named "ChangeLog",
   which now most/all contributors will have.  I wonder whether this
   is necessary/desirable.

Thanks.

* Re: gitlog-to-changelog
@ 2015-04-09 16:52 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2015-04-09 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Should I fix this in the
> Emacs repository, or is the script maintained elsewhere?

It's maintained at gnulib.  That bug isn't specific to Emacs, so I installed the
fix in both gnulib and Emacs.

> Also, I see 2 additional minor issues with the script:
>
>   . It doesn't add the 'coding:' cookie at the end of the produced file.
>   . It unconditionally overwrites any local file named "ChangeLog",
>     which now most/all contributors will have.  I wonder whether this
>     is necessary/desirable.

Thanks, I patched build-aux/gitlog-to-emacslog (which is Emacs-specific) to try
to address both those issues.

* Re: gitlog-to-changelog
@ 2015-04-09 17:01   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-09 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 09:52:36 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Should I fix this in the
> > Emacs repository, or is the script maintained elsewhere?
>
> It's maintained at gnulib.  That bug isn't specific to Emacs, so I installed the
> fix in both gnulib and Emacs.

Thanks.

> > Also, I see 2 additional minor issues with the script:
> >
> >   . It doesn't add the 'coding:' cookie at the end of the produced file.
> >   . It unconditionally overwrites any local file named "ChangeLog",
> >     which now most/all contributors will have.  I wonder whether this
> >     is necessary/desirable.
>
> Thanks, I patched build-aux/gitlog-to-emacslog (which is Emacs-specific) to try
> to address both those issues.

Looks good, thanks.