all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-04  3:42 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-04  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm an old Emacs from before window systems, so I do most of my work in
one (maybe two) frames on my laptop.  Old eyes don't see as well as they
used to, so I invariably use a slightly larger font and hit the maximize
button.  I've configured my font -- now how do I maximize from within my
startup file.
--
David Masterson

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-04  4:04 ` Christopher Dimech
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-12-04  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

(require 'maximize)

If you want to bind Hot-keys, add setting lines like below.

(global-set-key [f9] 'maximize-toggle-frame-vmax)
(global-set-key [f11] 'maximize-toggle-frame-hmax)

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

> Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 at 4:42 AM
> From: "David Masterson" <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
>
> I'm an old Emacs from before window systems, so I do most of my work in
> one (maybe two) frames on my laptop.  Old eyes don't see as well as they
> used to, so I invariably use a slightly larger font and hit the maximize
> button.  I've configured my font -- now how do I maximize from within my
> startup file.
> --
> David Masterson

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-04  6:12 ` Jean Louis
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-04  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> [2020-12-04 06:57]:
> I'm an old Emacs from before window systems, so I do most of my work in
> one (maybe two) frames on my laptop.  Old eyes don't see as well as they
> used to, so I invariably use a slightly larger font and hit the maximize
> button.  I've configured my font -- now how do I maximize from within my
> startup file.

It is better you set it with {M-x customize-face RET default RET} and
save for future session.

Jean

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-04  6:59 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
  2020-12-12  1:19 ` byte compiler, `modify-face', and "Programmatically" (was: Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?) Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2020-12-04  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com>
() Thu, 03 Dec 2020 19:42:02 -0800

   I'm an old Emacs from before window systems, so I do most of
   my work in one (maybe two) frames on my laptop.  Old eyes
   don't see as well as they used to, so I invariably use a
   slightly larger font and hit the maximize button.  I've
   configured my font -- now how do I maximize from within my
   startup file.

I use ratpoison, for the same reasons.

(Here, i interpret startup file to be ~/.xsession :-D.)

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen -----------------------------------------------
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2020) Software Libero

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-12-04  7:38 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2020-12-04  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Dec 04 2020, David Masterson wrote:
> I'm an old Emacs from before window systems, so I do most of my work in
> one (maybe two) frames on my laptop.  Old eyes don't see as well as they
> used to, so I invariably use a slightly larger font and hit the maximize
> button.  I've configured my font -- now how do I maximize from within my
> startup file.

I have the following line in my `~/.emacs.d/early-init.el`:

    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))

It works in `~/.emacs.d/init.el` as well, but then the frame is first drawn and
subsequently maximised. In `early-init.el`, you only see the maximised frame.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-04  7:48   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-04  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, David Masterson

* Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> [2020-12-04 10:41]:

> On Fri, Dec 04 2020, David Masterson wrote:
> > I'm an old Emacs from before window systems, so I do most of my work in
> > one (maybe two) frames on my laptop.  Old eyes don't see as well as they
> > used to, so I invariably use a slightly larger font and hit the maximize
> > button.  I've configured my font -- now how do I maximize from within my
> > startup file.
>
> I have the following line in my `~/.emacs.d/early-init.el`:
>
>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))
>
> It works in `~/.emacs.d/init.el` as well, but then the frame is first drawn and
> subsequently maximised. In `early-init.el`, you only see the maximised frame.

Good tip, I am using it now.

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-04  8:34   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-12-04  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com>
> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 05:04:29 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>

> (require 'maximize)
>
> If you want to bind Hot-keys, add setting lines like below.
>
> (global-set-key [f9] 'maximize-toggle-frame-vmax)
> (global-set-key [f11] 'maximize-toggle-frame-hmax)

F11 is already bound to a similar, but more useful command, so I don't
see why the OP should rebind it.  He should simply use it.

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-04 11:33   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-12-04 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>
> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 08:38:38 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> I have the following line in my `~/.emacs.d/early-init.el`:
>
>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))
>
> It works in `~/.emacs.d/init.el` as well, but then the frame is first drawn and
> subsequently maximised.

Did you try to do this in window-setup-hook or emacs-startup-hook?

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-04 13:26     ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-12-04 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I have the following line in my `~/.emacs.d/early-init.el`:
>>
>>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))
>>
>> It works in `~/.emacs.d/init.el` as well, but then the frame is first drawn and
>> subsequently maximised.
>
> Did you try to do this in window-setup-hook or emacs-startup-hook?

I also tried it in window-setup-hook and emacs-startup-hook. But first
it is drawn with built-in default values and then default-frame-alist
parameters comes into effect.

So I moved my following setting to early-init.el. It works fine there.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq default-frame-alist
       '((vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
	 (horizontal-scroll-bars . nil)
	 (height . 55)
  	 (width . 174)
	 (left . 613)
	 (top . 391)
	 (tool-bar-lines . 0)))
#+end_src

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-04 15:03     ` Christopher Dimech
> > If you want to bind Hot-keys, add setting lines like below.
> >
> > (global-set-key [f9] 'maximize-toggle-frame-vmax)
> > (global-set-key [f11] 'maximize-toggle-frame-hmax)
>
> F11 is already bound to a similar, but more useful command, so I don't
> see why the OP should rebind it.  He should simply use it.

Agreed

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-05  3:05   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-05  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> (require 'maximize)
>
> If you want to bind Hot-keys, add setting lines like below.
>
> (global-set-key [f9] 'maximize-toggle-frame-vmax)
> (global-set-key [f11] 'maximize-toggle-frame-hmax)

Thanks.  Since I'm using a Chromebook, I don't have a (readily obvious)
set of function keys, so, if needed, I'll find other keys.

--

@ 2020-12-05  3:09   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-05  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> () David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com>
> () Thu, 03 Dec 2020 19:42:02 -0800
>
>    I'm an old Emacs from before window systems, so I do most of
>    my work in one (maybe two) frames on my laptop.  Old eyes
>    don't see as well as they used to, so I invariably use a
>    slightly larger font and hit the maximize button.  I've
>    configured my font -- now how do I maximize from within my
>    startup file.
>
> I use ratpoison, for the same reasons.
>
> (Here, i interpret startup file to be ~/.xsession :-D.)

Hmm. I'm not familiar with ratpoison (other than for killing rats -
which, I hope, is not what you mean).

--

@ 2020-12-05  3:10   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-05  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 04 2020, David Masterson wrote:
>> I'm an old Emacs from before window systems, so I do most of my work in
>> one (maybe two) frames on my laptop.  Old eyes don't see as well as they
>> used to, so I invariably use a slightly larger font and hit the maximize
>> button.  I've configured my font -- now how do I maximize from within my
>> startup file.
>
> I have the following line in my `~/.emacs.d/early-init.el`:
>
>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))
>
> It works in `~/.emacs.d/init.el` as well, but then the frame is first drawn and
> subsequently maximised. In `early-init.el`, you only see the maximised
> frame.

Neat!

--

@ 2020-12-05  3:11     ` Christopher Dimech
> > If you want to bind Hot-keys, add setting lines like below.
> >
> > (global-set-key [f9] 'maximize-toggle-frame-vmax)
> > (global-set-key [f11] 'maximize-toggle-frame-hmax)
>
> Thanks.  Since I'm using a Chromebook, I don't have a (readily obvious)
> set of function keys, so, if needed, I'll find other keys.

Use the keys that work best for you.  you can check if a key is empty by using

C-h k KeySeq

where KeySeq is the key sequence you want to check

@ 2020-12-05  4:21     ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-05  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 04 2020, David Masterson wrote:
>>> I'm an old Emacs from before window systems, so I do most of my work in
>>> one (maybe two) frames on my laptop.  Old eyes don't see as well as they
>>> used to, so I invariably use a slightly larger font and hit the maximize
>>> button.  I've configured my font -- now how do I maximize from within my
>>> startup file.
>>
>> I have the following line in my `~/.emacs.d/early-init.el`:
>>
>>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))
>>
>> It works in `~/.emacs.d/init.el` as well, but then the frame is first drawn and
>> subsequently maximised. In `early-init.el`, you only see the maximised
>> frame.
>
> Neat!

Not so neat -- early-init.el?  It doesn't work for me and I don't see it
documented in Emacs v26.3 Info files.  I assume this is a file run after
site-init.el, but before init.el, but it's not documented.

Also, I think initial-frame-alist is better for me as my initial frame
is my main work area and other frames are temporary popup references.
Setting this in my .emacs works as you said.

Thanks for the pointer.
--

@ 2020-12-05  5:07       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-12-05  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: Joost Kremers, help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Not so neat -- early-init.el?  It doesn't work for me and I don't see it
> documented in Emacs v26.3 Info files.  I assume this is a file run after
> site-init.el, but before init.el, but it's not documented.

early-init.el is not available before emacs-27. It is documented in
Elisp manual of emacs-27 onwards.

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-05 10:06     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2020-12-05 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com>
() Fri, 04 Dec 2020 19:09:45 -0800

   Hmm. I'm not familiar with ratpoison (other than for killing
   rats - which, I hope, is not what you mean).

No worries.  It's a tiling window manager that maximizes all the
windows it manages:

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratpoison

I invoke it from ~/.xsession which is part of the "startx" flow.
(My computer boots into the (non-graphical) console.)

--

@ 2020-12-06  2:03         ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-06  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:
>
>> Not so neat -- early-init.el?  It doesn't work for me and I don't see it
>> documented in Emacs v26.3 Info files.  I assume this is a file run after
>> site-init.el, but before init.el, but it's not documented.
>
> early-init.el is not available before emacs-27. It is documented in
> Elisp manual of emacs-27 onwards.

Ah. I haven't upgraded yet.  Thanks

--

@ 2020-12-06  2:05       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-06  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> () David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com>
> () Fri, 04 Dec 2020 19:09:45 -0800
>
>    Hmm. I'm not familiar with ratpoison (other than for killing
>    rats - which, I hope, is not what you mean).
>
> No worries.  It's a tiling window manager that maximizes all the
> windows it manages:
>
>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratpoison
>
> I invoke it from ~/.xsession which is part of the "startx" flow.
> (My computer boots into the (non-graphical) console.)

Thanks.  Not using a window manager at the moment (thinking about EXWM),
but I'll keep it in mind.

--

@ 2020-12-06  2:38       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-12-06  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> No worries.  It's a tiling window manager that maximizes all the
> windows it manages:
>
>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratpoison

The name is a joke about its effect on... normal people - right?

Michael.

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-06  9:17         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2020-12-06  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2020-12-06, at 03:38, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:
>
>> No worries.  It's a tiling window manager that maximizes all the
>> windows it manages:
>>
>>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratpoison
>
> The name is a joke about its effect on... normal people - right?

Not exactly - the name refers to the idea that you can operate it using
the keyboard exclusively - so no need for... rodents. ;-)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?
@ 2020-12-06 22:35           ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-12-06 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > The name is a joke about its effect on... normal people - right?
>
> Not exactly - the name refers to the idea that you can operate it using
> the keyboard exclusively - so no need for... rodents. ;-)

Ah - I see.  Poor rodents!

Regards,

Michael.

* byte compiler, `modify-face', and "Programmatically" (was: Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-12-12  1:19 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-12  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What is this word that suddenly is everywhere,
"programmatically"? I know what it means of course but I always
felt you do everything the same way in Emacs, only in different
ways, right?

There are just some technicalities to the different flows and
executions and evaluations and invocations, and while they are
good to understand, it is nothing to focus on, right?

The documentation even says, in Lisp, don't use this, instead
do etc etc.

While I agree with the documentation, this only show it is all
the same!

BTW every time the documentation says that kind of thing,
a corresponding warning from the byte-compiler should come (if
possible to detect, of course, but often it is really simple so
why not? if it doesn't - consider it a bug.

E.g., use `modify-face' in code, the byte compiler should warn,
as it does in the docstring,

  For non-interactive use, ‘set-face-attribute’ is preferred.

Well, it is just an example.

That makes sense :)

--
underground experts united