all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About CUA mode
@ 2013-04-26  8:29 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-04-26  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Common_User_Access) says that:

  The Cut command is Shift+Del; Copy is Ctrl+Ins; Paste is Shift+Ins;

But in cua-mode, `C-x', `C-c', `C-v', and `C-z' invoke commands that cut
(kill), copy, paste (yank), and undo respectively.  Why?  I went to the
website of Kim F. Storm and `cua-base.el', but I still don't know.  Can
somebody give some background?

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: About CUA mode
@ 2013-04-26  8:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-04-26  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 16:29:54 +0800
> From: Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com>
>
> This page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Common_User_Access) says that:
>
>   The Cut command is Shift+Del; Copy is Ctrl+Ins; Paste is Shift+Ins;
>
> But in cua-mode, `C-x', `C-c', `C-v', and `C-z' invoke commands that cut
> (kill), copy, paste (yank), and undo respectively.  Why?

Why not?  The keys mentioned by Wikipedia _also_ do in CUA Mode what
Wikipedia says they should, so what's exactly the problem?

IOW, there's more than one interpretation of CUA, and Emacs supports
them all, or at least tries to.  The second group of keys you mention
is what is known as "CUA" on DOS and Windows systems.

* Re: About CUA mode
@ 2013-04-26 22:36   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-04-26 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 16:29:54 +0800
>> From: Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com>
>>
>> This page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Common_User_Access) says that:
>>
>>   The Cut command is Shift+Del; Copy is Ctrl+Ins; Paste is Shift+Ins;
>>
>> But in cua-mode, `C-x', `C-c', `C-v', and `C-z' invoke commands that cut
>> (kill), copy, paste (yank), and undo respectively.  Why?
>
> Why not?  The keys mentioned by Wikipedia _also_ do in CUA Mode what
> Wikipedia says they should, so what's exactly the problem?
>
> IOW, there's more than one interpretation of CUA, and Emacs supports
> them all, or at least tries to.  The second group of keys you mention
> is what is known as "CUA" on DOS and Windows systems.

Ah, I see, thank you.  The keys mentioned by Wikipedia is not documented
in the manual (at least I didn't find it).