all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#20089: Error in process filter big freeze
@ 2015-03-11 17:59 Clément Miklarz
From: Clément Miklarz @ 2015-03-11 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 20089

Hello,

I used emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32).

I went to Options -> Manage Emacs Packages.
Then it tries to connect to each host I specified in my .emacs.
And here are the logs :
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Contacting host: tromey.com:80
Contacting host: marmalade-repo.org:80
Opening TLS connection to `marmalade-repo.org'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 marmalade-repo.org
'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 marmalade-repo.org
--protocols ssl3'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect
marmalade-repo.org:443 -no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...failed
Opening TLS connection to `marmalade-repo.org'...failed
error in process filter: url-http: Could not create connection to
marmalade-repo.org:443
error in process filter: Could not create connection to
marmalade-repo.org:443
Failed to download `marmalade' archive.

When I get the first error, emacs freeze.
Meanwhile, there seems to be a heavy load on the CPU and the RAM for emacs
rise to 858 Mo.
If I tried again, it freezes again, the CPU is busy but the amount of RAM
does not change.

I changed a little thing in the .emacs :
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("marmalade" . "
http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/") t)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("marmalade" . "
http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/")).
It still freezes but no big load on the CPU nor any peak of RAM.

I'll try to connect to marmalade later to see if it's related to a fault on
my side or on the host side.
But even if marmalde can't be contacted, it should not bug like this.

Regards,
Clément MIKLARZ

[-- Attachment #2: .emacs --]

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(ansi-color-names-vector ["#212526" "#ff4b4b" "#b4fa70" "#fce94f" "#729fcf" "#ad7fa8" "#8cc4ff" "#eeeeec"])
 '(column-number-mode t)
 '(cua-mode t nil (cua-base))
 '(custom-enabled-themes (quote (manoj-dark)))
 '(tuareg-electric-indent t)
 '(tuareg-let-always-indent t))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

(set-language-environment "UTF-8")

(require 'package)
;; Add the original Emacs Lisp Package Archive
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("elpa" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/") t)
;; Add the user-contributed repository
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/") t)
(package-initialize)

;; Affichage du nom du buffer/fichier dans la barre de titre
(setq frame-title-format '(buffer-file-name "Emacs : %b (%f)" "Emacs: %b"))

;; Avoir le undo en Ctrl-Z
(global-set-key [(control z)] `undo)

;; Affiche numero de ligne et colonne dans la barre d'info
(setq column-number-mode t)
(setq line-number-mode t)

;; Conserver les fichiers backups (nom du fichier suivi d'un ~) dans le
;; repertoire indique (ici ~/.emacsbackups)
(defvar backup-dir "~/.emacsbackups/")
(setq backup-directory-alist (list (cons "." backup-dir)))

* bug#20089: Error in process filter big freeze
@ 2015-03-11 19:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <CAAk+7pHiQE1hACzSthZfnffR++ht8iq=aUWFpa+cM51NkpWsgw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-03-11 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Miklarz; +Cc: 20089

> From: Clément Miklarz <clement.miklarz@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 18:59:46 +0100
>
> I used emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32).
>
> I went to Options -> Manage Emacs Packages.
> Then it tries to connect to each host I specified in my .emacs.
> And here are the logs :
> Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
> Contacting host: tromey.com:80
> Contacting host: marmalade-repo.org:80
> Opening TLS connection to `marmalade-repo.org'...
> Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443
> marmalade-repo.org'...failed
> Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 marmalade-repo.org -
> -protocols ssl3'...failed

Do you have gnutls-cli.exe on your system?  If so, is it per chance a
Cygwin build of gnutls-cli?

> Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect marmalade-repo.org:443 -
> no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...failed
> Opening TLS connection to `marmalade-repo.org'...failed
> error in process filter: url-http: Could not create connection to
> marmalade-repo.org:443
> error in process filter: Could not create connection to marmalade-repo.org:443
> Failed to download `marmalade' archive.
>
> When I get the first error, emacs freeze.
> Meanwhile, there seems to be a heavy load on the CPU and the RAM for emacs rise
> to 858 Mo.
> If I tried again, it freezes again, the CPU is busy but the amount of RAM does
> not change.

Is your Emacs built with GnuTLS support, and if so, do you have the
GnuTLS DLL installed somewhere where Emacs can find it?

When Emacs uses the gnutls-cli program, it communicates with it via
signals, that don't work on Windows, so Emacs waits for gnutls-cli
indefinitely.  So on Windows, the only way to open TLS connection is
to have Emacs built with GnuTLS support.

@ 2015-03-21 10:14     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-03-21 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Miklarz; +Cc: 20089-done

> From: Clément Miklarz <clement.miklarz@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:18:03 +0100
>
> It seems that was indeed the case and getting those DLL resolved my problem.
> There is just one thing I can't understand : I followed the advices here
> (http://חנוך.se/diary/how_to_enable_GnuTLS_for_Emacs_24_on_Windows/index.en.html)
> but I didn't do the " Configure trust files" part and it still works perfectly.
> Should that be a problem ?

The certificates are only needed for HTTPS URLs, and I think Emacs 24
will succeed with HTTPS even if you don't have certificates.  So it's
not a grave problem, but you are still advised to install the
certificates.

> Moreover, I used marmalade to get a package before and it worked
perfectly.
> However, I do not remember if it was with emacs-24.3-bin-i386 or
> emacs-24.4-bin-i686-pc-mingw32 (the one I currently use).

Not sure why this worked, perhaps something changed in your system's
setup or in the order of directories on PATH.

Anyway, I think this bug can be closed now.