all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6472: bidi: bar cursor in rtl text on wrong side of current char.
@ 2010-06-19 23:14 David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2010-06-19 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 6472, eliz

I use [1] to use a bar cursor in emacs.

I think the bar cursor is on the wrong side in rtl spans, to the left of
the rtl character the point is "on" rather than the right, so it doesn't
correspond to the insertion location of the next rtl character typed.

[1]

(setq default-cursor-type '(bar . 2))
(defadvice overwrite-mode (after overwrite-mode)
   (if overwrite-mode
       (setq cursor-type 'box)
     (setq cursor-type '(bar . 2))))
(ad-activate 'overwrite-mode)

* bug#6472: bidi: bar cursor in rtl text on wrong side of current char.
@ 2010-06-20 15:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-06-20 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David De La Harpe Golden; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 00:14:53 +0100
> From: David De La Harpe Golden <david@harpegolden.net>
>
> I use [1] to use a bar cursor in emacs.
>
> I think the bar cursor is on the wrong side in rtl spans, to the left of
> the rtl character the point is "on" rather than the right, so it doesn't
> correspond to the insertion location of the next rtl character typed.

You are right.  I added this to my todo.  Volunteers are welcome to
beat me to it; the resolved bidi type and level of each character is
already available in the glyph structure.

* bug#6472: bidi: bar cursor in rtl text on wrong side of current char.
@ 2010-11-27 11:54   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-11-27 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 6472-done

> Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:21:57 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 00:14:53 +0100
> > From: David De La Harpe Golden <david@harpegolden.net>
> >
> > I use [1] to use a bar cursor in emacs.
> >
> > I think the bar cursor is on the wrong side in rtl spans, to the left of
> > the rtl character the point is "on" rather than the right, so it doesn't
> > correspond to the insertion location of the next rtl character typed.
>
> You are right.  I added this to my todo.  Volunteers are welcome to
> beat me to it; the resolved bidi type and level of each character is
> already available in the glyph structure.

Fixed in revno 101129 (in August, but it seems I forgot to close the
bug).