all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to input Eszett ('ß')?
@ 2011-11-30 17:24 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2011-11-30 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[Text-mode table enclosed: best viewed in monospace font.]

I'm currently running GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 with a US English locale,
and use `C-x 8` (`M-x ucs-insert`) fairly often, mostly successfully.
But for 'ß',

I tried                                      and got
-------------------------------------------  -------------------
C-x 8 ss                                     's'
C-x 8 RET tsett                              error
C-x 8 RET eszett                             error
C-x 8 RET TAB, then searching *Completions*  found nothing

finally, following a wikipedia lookup (from which I could have
just copied the damn thing :-)

C-x 8 00DF                                   success, but I'll
                                             never remember that

How easiest to get this character on a non-German keyboard?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>