all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Current discussion
@ 2015-10-11 20:49 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-10-11 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In dealing with Emacs and GCC I am trying to prevent several problems
of different kinds, that come from different directions.  They could
be worse than the lack of an IDE in Emacs.

Many of the people now arguing do not care about some of these
problems.  Rather than recognize that I am acting rationally in a very
difficult situation, they are treating me with contempt, in effect
treating the GNU Project (which GNU Emacs as part of) as an obstacle
to their goals.  This is closed-minded as well as disrespectful.

Some are saying, "Give up, it's hopeless to avoid those problems," but
I suspect that is their wishful thinking.  They want me to give up
trying so they claim it is hopeless.

I will not give in to this pressure.  However, I also do not want to
reflexively do the opposite (as I would emotionally tend to do).  I
want to make a good decision after careful thought.  If some of those
problems really can't be avoided, I don't want to make useless
sacrifices to do so.  On the other hand, I don't want to conclude it
is useless because nay-sayers claim it is useless.

The way to do this is to discuss the issue with a few people,
privately, who will pay attention to the problems and help me find the
best course.

Eli, can you join in?
John Wiegley, how about you?

I would want to ask one of the GCC developers to participate,
and also someone who is an expert on IDEs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Current discussion
@ 2015-10-11 21:56 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> The way to do this is to discuss the issue with a few people, privately, who
> will pay attention to the problems and help me find the best course.
>
> Eli, can you join in?
> John Wiegley, how about you?
>
> I would want to ask one of the GCC developers to participate, and also
> someone who is an expert on IDEs.

Count me in.

John

* Re: Current discussion
@ 2015-10-11 22:42 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-10-11 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2015-10-11, at 22:49, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> The way to do this is to discuss the issue with a few people,
> privately, who will pay attention to the problems and help me find the
> best course.

IMHO making this discussion public (maybe later, when the dust settles,
e.g. by posting it - or parts of it - somewhere on the internet) might
be informative for those of us who (1) are willing to learn something
about Emacs, about GCC etc. and (2) are interested in your philosophy
and not only in your code (for example, people like me, who disagree
with you about the principles you derive your philosophy from, but agree
with surprisingly many of your conclusions).

Just saying.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Current discussion
@ 2015-10-12  2:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-12  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:49:25 -0400
>
> The way to do this is to discuss the issue with a few people,
> privately, who will pay attention to the problems and help me find the
> best course.
>
> Eli, can you join in?

Yes.

* Re: Current discussion
@ 2015-10-12 20:02   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-10-12 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

Can anyone suggest an expert on refactoring who would be good to include?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Current discussion
@ 2015-10-13  0:57     ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-10-13  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Can anyone suggest an expert on refactoring who would be good to
> include?

i think that refactoring is something that's paradigm- and/or
language-specific. For example, Java doesn't (afaik) have CL-style
macros, so there might be refactoring opportunities available in
the latter that aren't available in the former; and even in terms
of OO, i imagine that the combination of CLOS and MOP would result
in different OO refactoring opportunities in CL than in Java. This
is why language-specific IDEs can be so powerful - they can
utilise domain-specific knowledge rather than only being able to
provide functionality based on the lowest common denominator.

Alexis.