all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs Not Starting New Installation on Windows 7 Enterprise
@ 2019-08-28  2:03 Lawrence Fischel
From: Lawrence Fischel @ 2019-08-28  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Dear Help GNU,

Just unpacked the file emacs-26.2-x86_64.zip into the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\emacs 26.2\.  However, when running C:\Program Files (x86)\emacs 26.2\bin\runemacs.exe, nothing happens.  Am running Windows 7 Enterprise as a 64-bit Operating System.  Didn't create any .init file nor change the PATH.  Just tried to start from the \bin directory.

Thank you for fielding my query.

Best Regards,
Lawrence

Lawrence Fischel, Ph.D.
Sr. Scientist
Clorox R&D Foods Modeling and Simulation
4900 Johnson Drive
Pleasanton, CA 94588
(925) 201-9576
Lawrence.Fischel@Clorox.Com

* Re: Emacs Not Starting New Installation on Windows 7 Enterprise
@ 2019-08-28  7:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-08-28  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Lawrence Fischel <Lawrence.Fischel@clorox.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 02:03:32 +0000
>
> Just unpacked the file emacs-26.2-x86_64.zip into the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\emacs 26.2\.  However, when running C:\Program Files (x86)\emacs 26.2\bin\runemacs.exe, nothing happens.  Am running Windows 7 Enterprise as a 64-bit Operating System.  Didn't create any .init file nor change the PATH.  Just tried to start from the \bin directory.

Does it help to add C:\Program Files (x86)\emacs 26.2\bin to PATH?
What happens if you run C:\Program Files (x86)\emacs 26.2\bin\emacs.exe?

Btw, the installation directory is incorrect: the Emacs you downloaded
is a 64-bit executable, so should be installed into the 64-bit
directory C:\Program Files\emacs 26.2\.

* RE: [External] Re: Emacs Not Starting New Installation on Windows 7 Enterprise
@ 2019-08-28 13:50   ` via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> > Just unpacked the file emacs-26.2-x86_64.zip into the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\emacs 26.2\.  However, when running C:\Program Files (x86)\emacs 26.2\bin\runemacs.exe, nothing happens.  Am running Windows 7 Enterprise as a 64-bit Operating System.  Didn't create any .init file nor change the PATH.  Just tried to start from the \bin directory.

Do you have Carbon Black Defense Antivirus running? I had to install emacs in a directory path with no upper case letters before Carbon Black would permit it to run. Cb logged a system event claiming emacs was inserting code in another process when it was in fact the same emacs process; Cb apparently lowercased only one of two dir\file strings before comparing them.

The content of this message is APPLIED MATERIALS CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify me, delete this email and do not use or distribute this email.

* Re: [External] Re: Emacs Not Starting New Installation on Windows 7 Enterprise
@ 2019-08-28 13:58     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-08-28 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Do you have Carbon Black Defense Antivirus running? I had to install emacs
> in a directory path with no upper case letters before Carbon Black would
> permit it to run.

A better fix is to throw away the offending software, i.e. Carbon Black
Defense (so called "Antivirus").