all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, tomas@tuxteam.de
Subject: Re: ELPA submission: plz-see
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 15:56:28 +0200	[thread overview]

> Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 08:30:47 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, tomas@tuxteam.de
> From: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>
>
> > The claim is that fetching a URL with our built-in primitives is
> > too slow.
>
> Forgive me, but that is not the claim.  There are numerous problems
> experienced with using url.el "in anger," as well as with other HTTP
> client libraries for Emacs.  Stefan K. was kind enough to link one of my
> posts about this issue a few years ago, when plz.el was earlier in its
> development (the issues mentioned having been solved now)[0].  Briefly,
> the problems include unreliability (e.g. callbacks being called multiple
> times or not at all, timeouts that don't happen), very awkward API (e.g.
> having to let-bind often-undocumented variables to do basic HTTP
> operations)

These all sound like bugs, and I'd be surprised if bugs were cited as
a reason to go to a completely different implementation, and one that
is based on an external program on top of that.  Bugs should be fixed;
they should not cause us to throw away our code just because it has
bugs.  Especially since those bugs cannot be so bad, as our
implementation of network communications does work: I'm sending this
mail using it, for example.

> and, perhaps also, inferior performance compared to a
> curl-based implementation (curl being implemented in a separate process,
> in C).

So is performance an issue or isn't it?

> I confess to feeling a bit annoyed at having to re-justify the inclusion
> of plz.el in GNU ELPA (or, at least, I feel like I'm having to do so).

This is a misunderstanding.  I never said anything about inclusion of
the package in ELPA or the need to justify it.  I responded to the
suggestion to integrate curl with the Emacs core:

Please don't misrepresent what I said and why, because the above
sounds like you are saying I questioned your reasons for developing
the package or asked you to explain why it was needed.  I did not.

> Having said all that, of course it would be best if Emacs's built-in
> library were the best one.  But as the author of url.el himself has
> admitted, it has some fundamental issues which are not easy to solve,
> and his own branch related to improving it hasn't been touched in 6
> years[3].  And so far, no one has stepped up to integrate libcurl or
> similar.

If url.el has fundamental problems, they can be fixed by thorough
modifications or even with a completely new line of APIs which don't
have those problems.  That is not the issue that bothers me here; the
issue that bothers me is the idea that instead of improving our own
implementation, we should use an external program.  It should be clear
to anyone who understands how this stuff is integrated into the core
that basing this on external programs has serious issues of its own,
because Emacs is not a garden-variety program, it needs to support
many low-level hooks into the communications level which are hard or
even impossible with external programs and libraries.  I very much
doubt that going this way will ever be able to support everything we
support now with network "processes" and applications based on them.

It is indeed unfortunate that we don't have anyone working on these
issues.  I still hope that someone will step forward soon enough.

> But the name is of very little importance, and surely no more
> difficult to remember than an API, of which there are innumerable
> ones in Emacs.

My original request to find a better name was for plz-see, not for
plz.  So once again, please don't misrepresent what I said and why.