all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Accented characters to Firefox: how?
@ 2009-05-18 19:22 djc
From: djc @ 2009-05-18 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm sure the answer to this must be something simple about encodings, but I
haven't figured it out yet.  Can you help?

Under Windows I edit text in emacs 22.3.1 with Western European accented
characters like ä, ü, ç and Ê, and I want to copy it from emacs to a
Firefox mail composition window.  But the text appears correct only up to
(but not including) the first accented character, and after that is either
a series of question marks or else is strangely formatted including
question marks.  For instance, the text

     ...accented characters like ä, ü, ç and Ê, and...

from the Emacs buffer becomes

     ...accented characters like ??, ?????, and...

How can I make this work properly?

Thanks.

Pete

* Re: Accented characters to Firefox: how?
@ 2009-05-18 20:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.7427.1242678180.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-05-18 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:22:00 +0200
> From: djc <newsg@resiak.org>
>
> Under Windows I edit text in emacs 22.3.1 with Western European accented
> characters like ä, ü, ç and Ê, and I want to copy it from emacs to a
> Firefox mail composition window.  But the text appears correct only up to
> (but not including) the first accented character, and after that is either
> a series of question marks or else is strangely formatted including
> question marks.  For instance, the text
>
>      ...accented characters like ä, ü, ç and Ê, and...
>
> from the Emacs buffer becomes
>
>      ...accented characters like ??, ?????, and...

I cannot reproduce this.  I'm also on Windows, and I tried Emacs 22.3
and the latest pretest 23.0.93.

I pasted into the address bar and also into the Google search window,
but not into the mail composition window (which I don't have).

What version of Windows is that (mine is XP SP2), and what version of
Firefox?

@ 2009-05-18 21:24   ` djc
From: djc @ 2009-05-18 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> What version of Windows is that (mine is XP SP2), and what version of
> Firefox?

I said Firefox?  Oops.  I meant Thunderbird.  Win XP SP2; Thunderbird 2.0.0.21.

The problem doesn't happen when I copy and paste accented characters from
Notepad into a Thunderbird composition window, so at a guess it concerns
what emacs puts into the Windows clipboard, and how.

@ 2009-05-18 22:11 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-05-18 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

djc wrote:
> I'm sure the answer to this must be something simple about encodings,
> but I haven't figured it out yet.  Can you help?
>
> Under Windows I edit text in emacs 22.3.1 with Western European accented
> characters like ä, ü, ç and Ê, and I want to copy it from emacs to a
> Firefox mail composition window.  But the text appears correct only up
> to (but not including) the first accented character, and after that is
> either a series of question marks or else is strangely formatted
> including question marks.  For instance, the text
>
>     ...accented characters like ä, ü, ç and Ê, and...
>
> from the Emacs buffer becomes
>
>     ...accented characters like ??, ?????, and...
>
> How can I make this work properly?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pete

ä o ë ü á
ä  ë ü áç Ê

Those are copypasted from Emacs 22.3 into Tbird 2.0.0.21 I suspect that
you have some kind of default font issue in Tbird. What do you have set
in Tools>Options>Display>Fonts and Encodings?? I know that you can
copypaste much more exotic characters than Latin-1 out of Emacs 23 into
other Windows apps  since its internal representation is Unicode.

Ed

* Re: Accented characters to Firefox: how?
@ 2009-05-19  3:08     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-05-19  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 23:24:57 +0200
> From: djc <newsg@resiak.org>
>
> Notepad into a Thunderbird composition window, so at a guess it concerns
> what emacs puts into the Windows clipboard, and how.

I don't think so: Emacs on Windows uses Unicode (UTF-16, actually) to
encode the text it puts into the clipboard, so I don't see how that
could lose any characters.  Unless you have some customization that
may interfere with this; please try "emacs -Q" to rule out that
possibility.

* Re: Accented characters to Firefox: how?
@ 2009-05-22 17:23   ` djc
From: djc @ 2009-05-22 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven wrote:
> What do you have set
> in Tools>Options>Display>Fonts and Encodings?? I know that you can
> copypaste much more exotic characters than Latin-1 out of Emacs 23 into
> other Windows apps  since its internal representation is Unicode.

Fonts for: Western
Do not allow messages to use other fonts
Outgoing Mail: Western (ISO-8859-1)
Incoming Mail: Western (ISO-8859-1)
Use the default character encoding in replies

djc