all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cursor movement issue when global-linum-mode is enabled
@ 2012-12-05  6:09 Vineet Naik
From: Vineet Naik @ 2012-12-05  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am using the latest version of Damien Cassou's emacs-snapshot[1] on
Ubuntu 12.04
After it was updated yesterday, I noticed a weird behaviour of C-p skipping
a line when
moving up, ie C-p moves the cursor 2 lines up instead of 1

After disabling some of my initializations, I figured out that this happens
only if
global-linum-mode is enabled.

Has anyone else faced this issue?

my emacs version:
"GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-12-03 on chindi02, modified by Debian"

[1] https://launchpad.net/~cassou/+archive/emacs

Regards,
Vineet

* Re: Cursor movement issue when global-linum-mode is enabled
@ 2012-12-05 16:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-12-05 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 11:39:23 +0530
> From: Vineet Naik <naikvin@gmail.com>
>
> I am using the latest version of Damien Cassou's emacs-snapshot[1] on
> Ubuntu 12.04
> After it was updated yesterday, I noticed a weird behaviour of C-p skipping
> a line when
> moving up, ie C-p moves the cursor 2 lines up instead of 1
>
> After disabling some of my initializations, I figured out that this happens
> only if
> global-linum-mode is enabled.
>
> Has anyone else faced this issue?

I don't see this in the latest development sources.  Can you show a
precise recipe, starting with "emacs -Q"?

* Re: Cursor movement issue when global-linum-mode is enabled
@ 2012-12-06  5:14   ` Vineet Naik
From: Vineet Naik @ 2012-12-06  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I don't see this in the latest development sources.  Can you show a
> precise recipe, starting with "emacs -Q"?

Yes,

1. start emacs with "emacs -Q" as you mentioned,
2. Open any file having multiple lines of text/code and try
using C-p to move up a line. This works as expected.
3. enable global-linum-mode
4. Try it again. C-p moves two lines up

@ 2012-12-06 17:42     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-12-06 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:44:27 +0530
> From: Vineet Naik <naikvin@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> 1. start emacs with "emacs -Q" as you mentioned,
> 2. Open any file having multiple lines of text/code and try
> using C-p to move up a line. This works as expected.
> 3. enable global-linum-mode
> 4. Try it again. C-p moves two lines up

It's a bug.  Please report it with "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".

Thanks.

* Re: Cursor movement issue when global-linum-mode is enabled
@ 2012-12-07  9:59       ` Vineet Naik
From: Vineet Naik @ 2012-12-07  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs