all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#18040: 24.4.50; "@acronym" in "(emacs) Intro"
@ 2014-07-17 12:20 Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2014-07-17 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18040

(info "(emacs) Intro")

The first paragraph looks here like this:

  You are reading about GNU Emacs, the GNU incarnation of the advanced,
  self-documenting, customizable, extensible editor Emacs.  (The `G' in
  GNU (@acronym{GNU}'s Not Unix) is not silent.)
       ^^^^^^^^

It seems that the "@acronym" texinfo keyword/command/whatever was not
properly processed by my texinfo (version 4.13, which comes with MSYS),
and therefore ends up in the final info file.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-07-09 on LEG570
Repository revision: 117503 sds@gnu.org-20140709145152-p0uy20pnxfum36cs
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'

--
Dani Moncayo

* bug#18040: 24.4.50; "@acronym" in "(emacs) Intro"
@ 2014-07-17 14:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-07-17 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dani Moncayo; +Cc: 18040

Evidently, Texinfo 4.x doesn't support recursive @acronyms.

* bug#18040: 24.4.50; "@acronym" in "(emacs) Intro"
@ 2014-07-17 15:27   ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2014-07-17 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 18040

> Evidently, Texinfo 4.x doesn't support recursive @acronyms.

Ok, I know nothing about Texinfo.

I just wanted to let you know, in case you didn't notice it already.

I'm OK with whatever fix you deem appropriate, including no change at all.

Thanks.

--
Dani Moncayo

* bug#18040: 24.4.50; "@acronym" in "(emacs) Intro"
@ 2014-07-19  3:02   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-07-19  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 18040

> Evidently, Texinfo 4.x doesn't support recursive @acronyms.

Sounds like a major bug for GNU's official documentation system!

* bug#18040: 24.4.50; "@acronym" in "(emacs) Intro"
@ 2014-07-19  7:17     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-07-19  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 18040

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com>,  18040@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 23:02:05 -0400
>
> > Evidently, Texinfo 4.x doesn't support recursive @acronyms.
>
> Sounds like a major bug for GNU's official documentation system!

Since 5.x solved it, we don't have a case here.

* bug#18040: 24.4.50; "@acronym" in "(emacs) Intro"
@ 2014-07-19  7:24       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-07-19  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: 18040

> Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 10:17:00 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: 18040@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> > From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> > Cc: Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com>,  18040@debbugs.gnu.org
> > Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 23:02:05 -0400
> >
> > > Evidently, Texinfo 4.x doesn't support recursive @acronyms.
> >
> > Sounds like a major bug for GNU's official documentation system!
>
> Since 5.x solved it, we don't have a case here.

Btw, using the inner @acronym is obviously wrong here, it's just a
pun.  So one way of fixing this for those who still use Texinfo 4.x
for whatever reasons is to remove the inner @acronym, leaving just
"GNU" there.

The Texinfo manual has the same problem, FWIW.

* bug#18040: 24.4.50; "@acronym" in "(emacs) Intro"
@ 2014-07-21  3:32         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-07-21  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18040-done