all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* elisp way to deal with gziped content?
@ 2014-08-08  2:21 Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-08-08  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs Development List

Hi Everyone,

Someone has proposed a patch to vimgolf.el which replaces the use of
url.el with requests.el. The reason is that url.el doesn't decompress
gzipped content automatically while requests.el does.

I'm assuming given that requests.el shells out to curl to get the job
done that Emacs has no way of natively gunzipping content, but I'd
love to be told that I'm wrong. I'd like Vimgolf to entirely rely on
emacs builtins so that it works seamlessly for our Windows friends.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

* Re: elisp way to deal with gziped content?
@ 2014-08-08  5:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-08-08  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 22:21:20 -0400
>
> Someone has proposed a patch to vimgolf.el which replaces the use of
> url.el with requests.el. The reason is that url.el doesn't decompress
> gzipped content automatically while requests.el does.
>
> I'm assuming given that requests.el shells out to curl to get the job
> done that Emacs has no way of natively gunzipping content, but I'd
> love to be told that I'm wrong. I'd like Vimgolf to entirely rely on
> emacs builtins so that it works seamlessly for our Windows friends.

Emacs has recently acquired a way of decompressing stuff internally.
See the function zlib-decompress-region.

* Re: elisp way to deal with gziped content?
@ 2014-08-08 11:51   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-08-08 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Tim Visher, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Someone has proposed a patch to vimgolf.el which replaces the use of
>> url.el with requests.el. The reason is that url.el doesn't decompress
>> gzipped content automatically while requests.el does.

[...]

> Emacs has recently acquired a way of decompressing stuff internally.
> See the function zlib-decompress-region.

Yes.  And url.el uses it to decompress content automatically in Emacs
24.4, I think.