all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-17 19:44 Clément Pit-Claudel
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2020-04-17 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 40687

Hi all,

With the following sample code, I observe the results shown in the attached image.  The first two "ab" have a border, but the last one only has three-quarters of its border: the right side is missing.

(defface my-button
  '((t :box(:line-width -4 :style released-button)
       :background"lightgrey":foreground"black"))
  "Button face")

(with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "button")
  (insert "\n")
  (insert (propertize "ab" 'face 'my-button))
  (insert " ")
  (insert (propertize (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
  (insert " ")
  (insert (propertize "ab" 'display (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
  (insert " ")
  (pop-to-buffer-same-window (current-buffer)))

Clément.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2020-03-15 built on clem-w50-mint
Repository revision: 9dccaf8a5cdb10dae597345ec3741475477a7d97
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Linux Mint 19.3

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_DK.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_DK.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45833 8246)
 (symbols 48 6336 1)
 (strings 32 15876 1701)
 (string-bytes 1 514312)
 (vectors 16 10216)
 (vector-slots 8 138591 9384)
 (floats 8 19 45)
 (intervals 56 188 0)
 (buffers 1000 12))

[-- Attachment #2: truncated-border.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 19168 bytes --]

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-17 20:33 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2020-04-17 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit-Claudel; +Cc: 40687

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:44:36 -0400 Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With the following sample code, I observe the results shown in the attached image.  The first two "ab" have a border, but the last one only has three-quarters of its border: the right side is missing.
>
> (defface my-button
>   '((t :box(:line-width -4 :style released-button)
>        :background"lightgrey":foreground"black"))
>   "Button face")
>
> (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "button")
>   (insert "\n")
>   (insert (propertize "ab" 'face 'my-button))
>   (insert " ")
>   (insert (propertize (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
>   (insert " ")
>   (insert (propertize "ab" 'display (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
>   (insert " ")
>   (pop-to-buffer-same-window (current-buffer)))

I see the same thing, but I noticed that when you add a space to
composed characters of the display property, ie.:
 (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b ? )
then right side border appears.

Steve Berman

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-17 21:11   ` Clément Pit-Claudel
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2020-04-17 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: 40687

On 17/04/2020 16.33, Stephen Berman wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:44:36 -0400 Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> With the following sample code, I observe the results shown in the attached image.  The first two "ab" have a border, but the last one only has three-quarters of its border: the right side is missing.
>>
>> (defface my-button
>>   '((t :box(:line-width -4 :style released-button)
>>        :background"lightgrey":foreground"black"))
>>   "Button face")
>>
>> (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "button")
>>   (insert "\n")
>>   (insert (propertize "ab" 'face 'my-button))
>>   (insert " ")
>>   (insert (propertize (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
>>   (insert " ")
>>   (insert (propertize "ab" 'display (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
>>   (insert " ")
>>   (pop-to-buffer-same-window (current-buffer)))
>
> I see the same thing, but I noticed that when you add a space to
> composed characters of the display property, ie.:
>  (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b ? )
> then right side border appears.

IIUC, this space is read as the number 32 and considered as the encoded version of the rule (tr . br).  Indeed, this gives the same result:

  (insert (propertize "ab" 'display (compose-chars ?a '(Bc . Bc) ?b '(tr . br)) 'face 'my-button))

But is that even a valid composition rule?It seems to break with non-trivial composition, like the following:

  (insert (propertize "ab" 'display (compose-chars ?a '(Bc . Bc) ?b ? ) 'face 'my-button))

(instead of being stacked, a and b are side by side)

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-23 15:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-04-23 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit-Claudel; +Cc: 40687

> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:44:36 -0400
>
> With the following sample code, I observe the results shown in the attached image.  The first two "ab" have a border, but the last one only has three-quarters of its border: the right side is missing.
>
> (defface my-button
>   '((t :box(:line-width -4 :style released-button)
>        :background"lightgrey":foreground"black"))
>   "Button face")
>
> (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "button")
>   (insert "\n")
>   (insert (propertize "ab" 'face 'my-button))
>   (insert " ")
>   (insert (propertize (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
>   (insert " ")
>   (insert (propertize "ab" 'display (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
>   (insert " ")
>   (pop-to-buffer-same-window (current-buffer)))

Thanks, should be fixed now.

FTR, a recipe to test more fully display of composed text with a :box
face is below.  I found quite a few problems with this, especially
when the text in the boxed face ends with a composed character.  They
should be fixed now on the master branch.  I tested this fully only on
MS-Windows; could someone please use the recipe below to verify the
display looks correctly also on X and on NS?  Note that what appears
below to be LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE is not a single character,
but 2 characters that are composed into a single glyph.

(defface my-button
  '((t :box(:line-width -4 :style released-button)
       :background"lightgrey":foreground"black"))
  "Button face")

(with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "button")
  (insert "\n")
  (insert " ")
  (insert (propertize "ab" 'face 'my-button))
  (insert " ")
  (insert "\n")
  (insert " ")
  (insert (propertize (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
  (insert " ")
  (insert "\n")
  (insert " ")
  (insert (propertize "ab" 'display (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
  (insert " ")
  (insert "\n")
  (insert " ")
  (insert (propertize "xá" 'face 'my-button))
  (insert " ")
  (insert "\n")
  (insert " ")
  (insert (propertize "Khmer (ភាសាខ្មែរ) ជំរាបសួរ" 'face 'my-button))

@ 2020-04-23 15:49   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-04-23 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: cpitclaudel, 40687

> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 22:33:48 +0200
> Cc: 40687@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> I see the same thing, but I noticed that when you add a space to
> composed characters of the display property, ie.:
>  (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b ? )
> then right side border appears.

Yes, because the bug only happened when a display string _ended_ in a
composition.

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-23 20:07   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2020-04-23 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel, 40687

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 18:48:09 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:44:36 -0400
>>
>> With the following sample code, I observe the results shown in the
>> attached image.  The first two "ab" have a border, but the last one
>> only has three-quarters of its border: the right side is missing.
>>
>> (defface my-button
>>   '((t :box(:line-width -4 :style released-button)
>>        :background"lightgrey":foreground"black"))
>>   "Button face")
>>
>> (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "button")
>>   (insert "\n")
>>   (insert (propertize "ab" 'face 'my-button))
>>   (insert " ")
>>   (insert (propertize (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
>>   (insert " ")
>>   (insert (propertize "ab" 'display (compose-chars ?a '(Br . Bl) ?b) 'face 'my-button))
>>   (insert " ")
>>   (pop-to-buffer-same-window (current-buffer)))
>
> Thanks, should be fixed now.
>
> FTR, a recipe to test more fully display of composed text with a :box
> face is below.  I found quite a few problems with this, especially
> when the text in the boxed face ends with a composed character.  They
> should be fixed now on the master branch.  I tested this fully only on
> MS-Windows; could someone please use the recipe below to verify the
> display looks correctly also on X and on NS?

I'm on GNU/Linux and confirm that with your patch all the buttons
produced by your recipe display correctly, i.e., with the right border.

Steve Berman

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-23 20:25     ` Clément Pit-Claudel
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2020-04-23 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 40687

On 23/04/2020 16.07, Stephen Berman wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 18:48:09 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Thanks, should be fixed now.
>>
> I'm on GNU/Linux and confirm that with your patch all the buttons
> produced by your recipe display correctly, i.e., with the right border.

Same here, on GNU/Linux + X as well.  Everything looks great.  Thanks a lot!

> Note that what appears
> below to be LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE is not a single character,
> but 2 characters that are composed into a single glyph.

I think I must have a configuration issue somewhere.  In Emacs, the accent is drawn next to the a (on the right side of it), inside the button (I have attached a screenshot)
This isn't a new problem, and it's not due to borders (the code of the repro has the same display issue, and my Emacs always behaved like this, I think), but maybe it's worth a separate bug report?

Clément.

[-- Attachment #2: button.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 17481 bytes --]

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-24  6:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-04-24  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: cpitclaudel, 40687

> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>,
>   40687@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 22:07:21 +0200
>
> > FTR, a recipe to test more fully display of composed text with a :box
> > face is below.  I found quite a few problems with this, especially
> > when the text in the boxed face ends with a composed character.  They
> > should be fixed now on the master branch.  I tested this fully only on
> > MS-Windows; could someone please use the recipe below to verify the
> > display looks correctly also on X and on NS?
>
> I'm on GNU/Linux and confirm that with your patch all the buttons
> produced by your recipe display correctly, i.e., with the right border.

Thanks for testing, much appreciated.

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-24  6:43       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-04-24  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit-Claudel; +Cc: 40687, stephen.berman

> Cc: 40687@debbugs.gnu.org
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 16:25:18 -0400
>
> On 23/04/2020 16.07, Stephen Berman wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 18:48:09 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> Thanks, should be fixed now.
> >>
> > I'm on GNU/Linux and confirm that with your patch all the buttons
> > produced by your recipe display correctly, i.e., with the right border.
>
> Same here, on GNU/Linux + X as well.  Everything looks great.  Thanks a lot!

Great, thanks.

> > Note that what appears
> > below to be LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE is not a single character,
> > but 2 characters that are composed into a single glyph.
>
> I think I must have a configuration issue somewhere.  In Emacs, the accent is drawn next to the a (on the right side of it), inside the button (I have attached a screenshot)
> This isn't a new problem, and it's not due to borders (the code of the repro has the same display issue, and my Emacs always behaved like this, I think), but maybe it's worth a separate bug report?

I don't think it's a bug.  It's likely just an issue with the font(s)
you are using If you insert this pair of codepoints in a buffer, can
you move point between them with C-f and C-b?  If you can, it means
they are not composed for some reason, perhaps the font you are using
doesn't have a glyph for the acute accent, so Emacs uses a different
font for it, and thus is unable to compose.  Try a different font.

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-24 12:10   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-04-24 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel, 40687

    Eli> Thanks, should be fixed now.

    Eli> FTR, a recipe to test more fully display of composed text with a :box
    Eli> face is below.  I found quite a few problems with this, especially
    Eli> when the text in the boxed face ends with a composed character.  They
    Eli> should be fixed now on the master branch.  I tested this fully only on
    Eli> MS-Windows; could someone please use the recipe below to verify the
    Eli> display looks correctly also on X and on NS?  Note that what appears
    Eli> below to be LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE is not a single character,
    Eli> but 2 characters that are composed into a single glyph.

It all looks correct on NS as well (once I switched to a font that had both
an 'a' and a COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT glyph, Menlo in this case)

Robert

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-24 12:26     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-04-24 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: cpitclaudel, 40687-done

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>,
>   40687@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 14:10:57 +0200

>     Eli> Thanks, should be fixed now.
>
>     Eli> FTR, a recipe to test more fully display of composed text with a :box
>     Eli> face is below.  I found quite a few problems with this, especially
>     Eli> when the text in the boxed face ends with a composed character.  They
>     Eli> should be fixed now on the master branch.  I tested this fully only on
>     Eli> MS-Windows; could someone please use the recipe below to verify the
>     Eli> display looks correctly also on X and on NS?  Note that what appears
>     Eli> below to be LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE is not a single character,
>     Eli> but 2 characters that are composed into a single glyph.
>
> It all looks correct on NS as well (once I switched to a font that had both
> an 'a' and a COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT glyph, Menlo in this case)

Great, so I'm closing this bug.  Thanks to all who supported the
testing of the fix.

P.S. FTR: the fix is on the master branch, so it will be in Emacs
28.1.

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-24 14:01       ` Clément Pit-Claudel
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2020-04-24 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Robert Pluim; +Cc: 40687-done

On 24/04/2020 08.26, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Great, so I'm closing this bug.  Thanks to all who supported the
> testing of the fix.

Thanks for your hard work.

* bug#40687: Missing right border on composed text used in 'display property
@ 2020-04-24 14:06         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-04-24 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit-Claudel; +Cc: rpluim, 40687-done

> Cc: 40687-done@debbugs.gnu.org
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 10:01:43 -0400
>
> On 24/04/2020 08.26, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Great, so I'm closing this bug.  Thanks to all who supported the
> > testing of the fix.
>
> Thanks for your hard work.

Thanks for an interesting use case that happened to teach me several
things I didn't know.