all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Creating shared dev branch
@ 2011-12-25 17:47 Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2011-12-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: mh-e-devel

The MH-E developers are having a Bug Squashing Party (BSP) on Tuesday,
12/27. Since Emacs has not yet been released, I'd like to create a dev
branch for our work which will be merged back into trunk after the Emacs
release.

In Subversion, the dev branch would have been created with something
like:

  $ svn cp svn+ssh://wohler@svn.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/ \
    svn+ssh://wohler@svn.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/branches/mh-e

We would have all then switched to that branch (assuming we already had
emacs/trunk checked out):

  $ svn switch svn+ssh://wohler@svn.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/branches/mh-e

We'd then do our work. Later, at an appropriate time, I would merge the
changes back into trunk.

  $ svn switch svn+ssh://wohler@svn.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk
  $ svn merge --reintegrate svn+ssh://wohler@svn.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/branches/mh-e

Can anyone suggest a comparable recipe for Bazaar? All of us have Emacs
repository access.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> aka <Bill.Wohler@nasa.gov>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/

* Re: Creating shared dev branch
@ 2011-12-25 18:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-12-25 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wohler; +Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 09:47:51 -0800
> From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
> Cc: mh-e-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> The MH-E developers are having a Bug Squashing Party (BSP) on Tuesday,
> 12/27. Since Emacs has not yet been released, I'd like to create a dev
> branch for our work which will be merged back into trunk after the Emacs
> release.
> [...]
> Can anyone suggest a comparable recipe for Bazaar?

100% untested:

 bzr branch trunk/ bug-squash/
 cd bug-squash/
 bzr push --remember bzr+ssh://USER@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/bug-squash/

From now on, all commits in bug-squash/ will go to the public branch
on savannah.

(If you don't like the name "bug-squash", change it as you see fit;
there's nothing magic about it.)

Note that the public branch created by the above commands will NOT be
a bound branch.  If you want a bound branch, like trunk is, you will
need to "bzr bind" it afterwards.

HTH

* Re: Creating shared dev branch
@ 2011-12-25 18:28   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2011-12-25 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 09:47:51 -0800
> > From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
> > Cc: mh-e-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> >
> > The MH-E developers are having a Bug Squashing Party (BSP) on Tuesday,
> > 12/27. Since Emacs has not yet been released, I'd like to create a dev
> > branch for our work which will be merged back into trunk after the Emacs
> > release.
> > [...]
> > Can anyone suggest a comparable recipe for Bazaar?
>
> 100% untested:
>
>  bzr branch trunk/ bug-squash/
>  cd bug-squash/
>  bzr push --remember bzr+ssh://USER@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/bug-squash/
>
> From now on, all commits in bug-squash/ will go to the public branch
> on savannah.
>
> (If you don't like the name "bug-squash", change it as you see fit;
> there's nothing magic about it.)
>
> Note that the public branch created by the above commands will NOT be
> a bound branch.  If you want a bound branch, like trunk is, you will
> need to "bzr bind" it afterwards.
>
> HTH

It does, indeed! Thanks!

You're fine with me creating a branch called "mh-e" at the top-level
rather than in some sub-directory? There appears to be a directory
called other-branches.

Also, any concerns about the disk space this branch will take (~300 MB)?

--

@ 2011-12-25 18:53     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-12-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wohler; +Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel

> cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, mh-e-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 10:28:30 -0800
> From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
>
> >  bzr branch trunk/ bug-squash/
> >  cd bug-squash/
> >  bzr push --remember bzr+ssh://USER@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/bug-squash/
> >
> > From now on, all commits in bug-squash/ will go to the public branch
> > on savannah.
> >
> > (If you don't like the name "bug-squash", change it as you see fit;
> > there's nothing magic about it.)
> >
> > Note that the public branch created by the above commands will NOT be
> > a bound branch.  If you want a bound branch, like trunk is, you will
> > need to "bzr bind" it afterwards.
> >
> > HTH
>
> It does, indeed! Thanks!

I forgot to tell that the "merge later" part is simply

  cd trunk
  bzr up
  bzr merge ../bug-squash
  [build and test to make sure it works, fix bugs]
  bzr commit

> You're fine with me creating a branch called "mh-e" at the top-level
> rather than in some sub-directory? There appears to be a directory
> called other-branches.

"other-branches" is a euphemism for "old and unused branches that no
one should look at".

> Also, any concerns about the disk space this branch will take (~300 MB)?

I don't see why that would a problem.

* Re: Creating shared dev branch
@ 2011-12-25 19:36       ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2011-12-25 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, mh-e-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 10:28:30 -0800
> > From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
> >
> > >  bzr branch trunk/ bug-squash/
> > >  cd bug-squash/
> > >  bzr push --remember bzr+ssh://USER@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/bug-squash/
> > >
> > > From now on, all commits in bug-squash/ will go to the public branch
> > > on savannah.
> > >
> > > (If you don't like the name "bug-squash", change it as you see fit;
> > > there's nothing magic about it.)
> > >
> > > Note that the public branch created by the above commands will NOT be
> > > a bound branch.  If you want a bound branch, like trunk is, you will
> > > need to "bzr bind" it afterwards.
> > >
> > > HTH
> >
> > It does, indeed! Thanks!
>
> I forgot to tell that the "merge later" part is simply
>
>   cd trunk
>   bzr up
>   bzr merge ../bug-squash
>   [build and test to make sure it works, fix bugs]
>   bzr commit

Easy enough.

> > You're fine with me creating a branch called "mh-e" at the top-level
> > rather than in some sub-directory? There appears to be a directory
> > called other-branches.
>
> "other-branches" is a euphemism for "old and unused branches that no
> one should look at".

Wow, I'd hate to know what the old-branches directory is a euphemism for :-).

> > Also, any concerns about the disk space this branch will take (~300 MB)?
>
> I don't see why that would a problem.

OK, I'll add a mh-e branch at the top. Thanks again!