all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* kill-ring-save: how to disable the blinking mark?
@ 2012-08-26 18:01 Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2012-08-26 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

with Transient Mark mode disabled, M-w (kill-ring-save) makes the mark
blink.  I'd like to disable that.  I've looked without success for
variables matching "mark", "blink", "kill" that could have been related.

I'm using GNU Emacs 24.1.

Thanks.

* Re: kill-ring-save: how to disable the blinking mark?
@ 2012-08-27  4:18 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-08-27  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> with Transient Mark mode disabled, M-w (kill-ring-save) makes the mark
> blink.  I'd like to disable that.

Have you tried to just close your eyes or look away?

* Re: kill-ring-save: how to disable the blinking mark?
@ 2012-08-27 11:24   ` Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2012-08-27 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 27/08/12 05:18, Stefan Monnier wrote:
 >> with Transient Mark mode disabled, M-w (kill-ring-save) makes the mark
 >> blink.  I'd like to disable that.
 >
 > Have you tried to just close your eyes or look away?
 >

 >          Stefan

Yes, but that disrupts my editing.

Jokes apart... So, it cannot be done.  Well, I've found a workaround:
setting
the background of the 'region face to be the same color as the
background of the
frame (setting it to nil doesn't work).

* Re: kill-ring-save: how to disable the blinking mark?
@ 2012-08-31  9:17     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-08-31  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Raffaele Ricciardi <rfflrccrd@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:24:05 +0100
>
> On 27/08/12 05:18, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>  >> with Transient Mark mode disabled, M-w (kill-ring-save) makes the mark
>  >> blink.  I'd like to disable that.
>  >
>  > Have you tried to just close your eyes or look away?
>  >
>  >
>  >          Stefan
>  >

> Yes, but that disrupts my editing.
>
> Jokes apart... So, it cannot be done.

Yes, it can be done: set blink-matching-delay to zero.  The downside
is that this also affects blink-matching-paren, but maybe you don't
like that as well, or use show-paren-mode instead.