all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gdb not working in emacs
@ 2015-01-13  4:05 cplum984
From: cplum984 @ 2015-01-13  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using gdb within xemacs for 17 years without issues. Switch over to emacs and it just hangs. I do the usual "M-x gdb", get prompted for the app to debug, press return, and the gdb buffer pops right up. I get the normal gdb preamble and then the "(gdb)" prompt. Up until this point everything is just like with xeamcs. However, anything I type just hangs. Even "help". C-c C-c gets me out of it. This is on the same machine I use xemacs+gdb on. Any ideas/suggestions?

Chris

* Re: gdb not working in emacs
@ 2015-01-13  4:16 ` cplum984
From: cplum984 @ 2015-01-13  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nevermind. I did a bit more searching and found the following:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs23/+bug/750724

Not sure why this doesn't affect everyone by default. Adding --annotate=3 fixed the problem for me.

* Re: gdb not working in emacs
@ 2015-01-13 16:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 20:05:00 -0800 (PST)
> From: cplum984@gmail.com
>
> I've been using gdb within xemacs for 17 years without issues. Switch over to emacs and it just hangs. I do the usual "M-x gdb", get prompted for the app to debug, press return, and the gdb buffer pops right up. I get the normal gdb preamble and then the "(gdb)" prompt. Up until this point everything is just like with xeamcs. However, anything I type just hangs. Even "help". C-c C-c gets me out of it. This is on the same machine I use xemacs+gdb on. Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm guessing your GDB is too old.  Either upgrade, or invoke GDB with
"M-x gud-gdb", which will use the old interface.