all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't start new branch in VC with RCS
@ 2016-01-11 21:48 allan gottlieb
From: allan gottlieb @ 2016-01-11 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a single file class-notes.html (with RCS/class-notes.html,v).
I am using rcs in default (locking) mode

The head revision is 8.6.  I am the only user and the head revision is
locked by me.  C-x v = shows the one simple change I made since 8.6.1
and the file has been saved.

I want to start branch 8.6.1.  The manual suggests C-u C-x v v.

C-u x v v asks for a new backend.  I do not want to change backends.
If I type RCS, it correctly reports that RCS is the current backend and
exits.  If I try 8.6.1, it correctly reports that there is no match (it
is looking for a backend).

Is this supposed to be possible under VC for RCS?  I presumably could
achieve my goal using rcs directly from the command line.

Thanks in advance.
allan

* Re: Can't start new branch in VC with RCS
@ 2016-01-12  0:52 ` Dale Snell
From: Dale Snell @ 2016-01-12  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:48:43 -0500, in message 87h9ij6b44.fsf@nyu.edu,
allan gottlieb wrote:

> I have a single file class-notes.html (with RCS/class-notes.html,v).
> I am using rcs in default (locking) mode
>
> The head revision is 8.6.  I am the only user and the head revision is
> locked by me.  C-x v = shows the one simple change I made since 8.6.1
> and the file has been saved.
>
> I want to start branch 8.6.1.  The manual suggests C-u C-x v v.
>
> C-u x v v asks for a new backend.  I do not want to change backends.
> If I type RCS, it correctly reports that RCS is the current backend
> and exits.  If I try 8.6.1, it correctly reports that there is no
> match (it is looking for a backend).
>
> Is this supposed to be possible under VC for RCS?  I presumably could
> achieve my goal using rcs directly from the command line.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> allan

Hi Allan,

For the record, I was unable to coerce, cajole, or otherwise
convince VC to create new branches in RCS.  I had to use the
command line.  It wasn't hard to do, but it would have been nice
if VC had the capability.  Perhaps it does and we just haven't see
it?

--Dale

--
Sign in coffee shop:  "Children left unattended will be given an
espresso and a Free Puppy."

* Re: Can't start new branch in VC with RCS
@ 2016-01-12  3:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-12  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu>
> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:48:43 -0500
>
> I have a single file class-notes.html (with RCS/class-notes.html,v).
> I am using rcs in default (locking) mode
>
> The head revision is 8.6.  I am the only user and the head revision is
> locked by me.  C-x v = shows the one simple change I made since 8.6.1
> and the file has been saved.
>
> I want to start branch 8.6.1.  The manual suggests C-u C-x v v.
>
> C-u x v v asks for a new backend.  I do not want to change backends.
> If I type RCS, it correctly reports that RCS is the current backend and
> exits.  If I try 8.6.1, it correctly reports that there is no match (it
> is looking for a backend).
>
> Is this supposed to be possible under VC for RCS?  I presumably could
> achieve my goal using rcs directly from the command line.

What version of Emacs is that?

* Re: Can't start new branch in VC with RCS
@ 2016-01-19 14:17   ` allan gottlieb
From: allan gottlieb @ 2016-01-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jan 11 2016, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu>
>> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:48:43 -0500
>>
>> I have a single file class-notes.html (with RCS/class-notes.html,v).
>> I am using rcs in default (locking) mode
>>
>> The head revision is 8.6.  I am the only user and the head revision is
>> locked by me.  C-x v = shows the one simple change I made since 8.6.1
>> and the file has been saved.
>>
>> I want to start branch 8.6.1.  The manual suggests C-u C-x v v.
>>
>> C-u x v v asks for a new backend.  I do not want to change backends.
>> If I type RCS, it correctly reports that RCS is the current backend and
>> exits.  If I try 8.6.1, it correctly reports that there is no match (it
>> is looking for a backend).
>>
>> Is this supposed to be possible under VC for RCS?  I presumably could
>> achieve my goal using rcs directly from the command line.
>
> What version of Emacs is that?

24.5

* Re: Can't start new branch in VC with RCS
@ 2016-01-19 18:19     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-19 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu>
> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:17:58 -0500
>
> >> I want to start branch 8.6.1.  The manual suggests C-u C-x v v.
> >>
> >> C-u x v v asks for a new backend.  I do not want to change backends.
> >> If I type RCS, it correctly reports that RCS is the current backend and
> >> exits.  If I try 8.6.1, it correctly reports that there is no match (it
> >> is looking for a backend).
> >>
> >> Is this supposed to be possible under VC for RCS?  I presumably could
> >> achieve my goal using rcs directly from the command line.
> >
> > What version of Emacs is that?
>
> 24.5

The upcoming 25.1 will fix this.