all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* set a variable at the beginning of a buffer via a string
@ 2017-11-24 15:12 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-11-24 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

The following works nicely, when set at the beginning of a buffer

%%  -*-coding: utf-8 -*-

But this  %%  -*-ispell-local-dictionary: "castellano8" -*-

Does not, why? What do I miss?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: set a variable at the beginning of a buffer via a string
@ 2017-11-24 15:45 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2017-11-24 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> The following works nicely, when set at the beginning of a buffer
>
> %%  -*-coding: utf-8 -*-
>

> But this  %%  -*-ispell-local-dictionary: "castellano8" -*-
>
> Does not, why? What do I miss?

I thought the '-*-' had to be followed by a space?

BTW, is this your abbrev file by any chance? Looks like
write-abbrev-file gets this wrong.

Robert

* Re: set a variable at the beginning of a buffer via a string
@ 2017-11-24 15:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-11-24 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 16:12:59 +0100
>
> The following works nicely, when set at the beginning of a buffer
>
> %%  -*-coding: utf-8 -*-
>

> But this  %%  -*-ispell-local-dictionary: "castellano8" -*-
>
> Does not, why? What do I miss?

The semi-colon after the value?  See the manual node "Specifying File
Variables".

* Re: set a variable at the beginning of a buffer via a string
@ 2017-11-24 15:52 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-11-24 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uwe Brauer wrote:

> But this %% -*-ispell-local-dictionary:
> "castellano8" -*-
>
> Does not, why? What do I miss?

This (the second example) works for me, so
either you checked it in another buffer, *or*
you initialized ispell at a later point which
could have overwritten your setting.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: set a variable at the beginning of a buffer via a string
@ 2017-11-24 15:54   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-11-24 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Pluim wrote:

>> But this %% -*-ispell-local-dictionary:
>> "castellano8" -*- Does not, why? What do
>> I miss?
>
> I thought the '-*-' had to be followed by
> a space?

Well, that looks better but both works for me.

--

@ 2017-11-24 16:05     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2017-11-24 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Robert Pluim wrote:
>
>>> But this %% -*-ispell-local-dictionary:
>>> "castellano8" -*- Does not, why? What do
>>> I miss?
>>
>> I thought the '-*-' had to be followed by
>> a space?
>
> Well, that looks better but both works for me.

Actually, with or without a space should work, but with does indeed
look better.

* Re: set a variable at the beginning of a buffer via a string
@ 2017-11-24 21:56   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-11-24 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

   > The semi-colon after the value?  See the manual node
   > "Specifying File Variables".

Ah I wanted both varibles to be set and the correct way seems to
be
%%  -*-coding: utf-8;ispell-local-dictionary: "castellano8"; -*-

Not

@ 2017-11-25  7:15     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-11-25  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 22:56:25 +0100
>
>    > The semi-colon after the value?  See the manual node
>    > "Specifying File Variables".
>
> Ah I wanted both varibles to be set and the correct way seems to
> be
> %%  -*-coding: utf-8;ispell-local-dictionary: "castellano8"; -*-
>
> Not
>
> %%  -*-coding: utf-8;-*-
> %%  -%-ispell-local-dictionary: "castellano8"; -*-

Yes.