all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to shade the whole area after fill-column with display-fill-column-indicator-mode
@ 2023-12-29 11:11 kotatsuyaki via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: kotatsuyaki via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-12-29 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am seeking for a way to shade the whole area after fill-column with a
grey background, as seen in this screenshot [1] from the page for "Fill
Column Indicator" [2] on the EmacsWiki.  How do I achieve the style
using display-fill-column-indicator-mode?

I tried setting the :extend face attribute on the fill-column-indicator
face, as that's how I make the background color of the headlines in
org-mode extend all the way to the right until the edge of the window.
However, the background color of the indicator does not extend:

(set-face-attribute 'fill-column-indicator
                    nil
                    :background "LightGray"
                    :extend t)

[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/pics/static/FciShadingStyle.png
[2] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FillColumnIndicator

* Re: How to shade the whole area after fill-column with display-fill-column-indicator-mode
@ 2023-12-29 12:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-29 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 19:11:05 +0800
> From:  kotatsuyaki via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> I am seeking for a way to shade the whole area after fill-column with a
> grey background, as seen in this screenshot [1] from the page for "Fill
> Column Indicator" [2] on the EmacsWiki.  How do I achieve the style
> using display-fill-column-indicator-mode?
>
> I tried setting the :extend face attribute on the fill-column-indicator
> face, as that's how I make the background color of the headlines in
> org-mode extend all the way to the right until the edge of the window.
> However, the background color of the indicator does not extend:

You can't do that, currently.  The display of fill-column-indicator is
programmed to return to the previous face after displaying the
indicator itself.  I suggest to submit a feature-request bug report
asking for the feature you'd like to have.