all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customize save for future sessions
@ 2013-11-12 21:25 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2013-11-12 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I try to save any customization (through Specific Option) to .emacs
I see:

Invalid Read Syntax: "?"

Am on w64-7pro and Emacs 23.3.1

Possibly pertinent os evironment settings:

C:\mydocu~1>set
ALTERNATE_EDITOR=C:\emacs\bin\runemacs --debug-init
APPDATA=C:\Users\Ec\AppData\Roaming
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
EMACS_SERVER_FILE=C:\Users\Ec\AppData\Roaming\.emacs.d\server\se
home=c:\users\Ec\Appdata\Roaming
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\Ec
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Ec\AppData\Local
Path=C:\Python33\;c:\mingw\bin;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin;c:\gnu\bin;C:\Windows\
.... etc.
:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\;c:\adt\adt\sdk\platform-tools
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
Emacs itself is installed in c:\emacs, not with w32 programs.

Also is there a faq for this group (gnu.emacs.help). I need to (re)learn
how to use emacsclientw, installation options, etc. With every upgrade
to Emacs and the OS things get clunkier due to my own ignorance of the
basics and to the fact that many important things are done and then
forgotten once a year or even less often.

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: customize save for future sessions
@ 2013-11-13  3:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-11-13  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net>
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:25:56 -0600
>
> When I try to save any customization (through Specific Option) to .emacs
> I see:
>
> Invalid Read Syntax: "?"

Move your .emacs aside and try again.  I guess there's something there
that causes this.

> Also is there a faq for this group (gnu.emacs.help). I need to (re)learn
> how to use emacsclientw, installation options, etc. With every upgrade
> to Emacs and the OS things get clunkier due to my own ignorance of the
> basics and to the fact that many important things are done and then
> forgotten once a year or even less often.

Try the user manual, this should be described there.  Or maybe I don't
understand what are you looking for.