all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs VC issue
@ 2018-12-17  8:01 Live System User
From: Live System User @ 2018-12-17  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

        I am currently experiencing an issue with the Emacs
        master repo and "vc-update".

        When I go to "pull", I get the following error:

Running "git pull --stat"...
From git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
   3edddba..61dbe6b  master     -> origin/master
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
	src/macuvs.h
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting
Updating 8c28ac8..61dbe6b

        Since I did not make any "local changes" (I only do
	pull and "make"), I suspect that something happened
        on the remote's end.

        Eventuslly that would get fixed on the remote end
        especially as other people encounter the same issue
        and some maintainer rectified the problem.  Then a
        subsequent "vc-update" would be successful and I
        would be unstuck. However, since the problem still
        persists, perfaps others resolved it "locally"
        somehow?  I don't have a modified src/macuvs.h
        file to stash and I'm not doing a "merge".
	Using the Emacs VC facilities, how can I
        fix/solve this so that I can vc-update
        successfully again?

	Thanks.

* Re: Emacs VC issue
@ 2018-12-17  9:07 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2018-12-17  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Live System User; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Dez 17 2018, Live System User <nyc4bos@aol.com> wrote:

>         Since I did not make any "local changes" (I only do
> 	pull and "make"), I suspect that something happened
>         on the remote's end.

There is a rule in src/Makefile to update src/macuvs.h.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: Emacs VC issue
@ 2018-12-17 16:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-12-17 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Live System User; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Live System User <nyc4bos@aol.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 03:01:48 -0500
>
>         I am currently experiencing an issue with the Emacs
>         master repo and "vc-update".
>
>         When I go to "pull", I get the following error:
>

> Running "git pull --stat"...
> >From git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
>    3edddba..61dbe6b  master     -> origin/master
> error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
> 	src/macuvs.h
> Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
> Aborting
> Updating 8c28ac8..61dbe6b
>

>         Since I did not make any "local changes" (I only do
> 	pull and "make"), I suspect that something happened
>         on the remote's end.

Nothing happened.  But in any such case, when you see a message like
that and know for sure you didn't change the offending file, the
remedy is simple:

  git checkout src/macuvs.h
  git pull