all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* org-mode freezes sometimes
@ 2021-10-19  9:46 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2021-10-19  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
I'm running emacs 27.2 with prelude on top of it (if that matters).
Somehow, when I'm editing an org-mode file with images and code
blocks, the system works fine for a few minutes, and then it start
slowing down up to freezing for several seconds. Then it start
reacting well again, and then turns again slow and freezes, and so on.
Since the above does not suffice to diagnose the problem, what could I
start looking at to better inspect the cause of the problem?
I've not noted the same problem with other org-mode files, especially
those that do not have embedded images, but images are not displayed
online, so I don't think this is a cause.

thanks,
Luca

* Re: org-mode freezes sometimes
@ 2021-10-19 10:17 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-10-19 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Two things to try:

1. turn on debug on quit (M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET) and hit C-g when
   "frozen" to see what Emacs is doing at that point.

2. profile org using elp (M-x elp-instrument-package RET org RET) and
   after some time ask for the profiling results (M-x elp-results RET)
   to see where the time has been spent.

I don't see slowdown with images personally but I do with large tables
but the latter is a well known issue with org.

HTH,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.60 & org 9.5 on Debian 11.1

* Re: org-mode freezes sometimes
@ 2021-10-19 12:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-10-19 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 11:46:19 +0200
>
> I'm running emacs 27.2 with prelude on top of it (if that matters).
> Somehow, when I'm editing an org-mode file with images and code
> blocks, the system works fine for a few minutes, and then it start
> slowing down up to freezing for several seconds. Then it start
> reacting well again, and then turns again slow and freezes, and so on.
> Since the above does not suffice to diagnose the problem, what could I
> start looking at to better inspect the cause of the problem?

If you set garbage-collection-messages to a non-nil value, do you see
messages saying "Garbage collecting..." when Emacs freezes?