all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#16132: Crash on Windows
@ 2013-12-13 17:09 Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2013-12-13 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16132

Mingw build of emacs from r115506 running on win7 64bit. Emacs displayed
the abort dialog during startup, while desktop mode was restoring
buffers. Attaching a debugger:

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
[Switching to Thread 2828.0x1bec]
0x76fc321a in KERNELBASE!DeleteAce () from C:\Windows\syswow64\KernelBase.dll
(gdb) bt full
#0  0x76fc321a in KERNELBASE!DeleteAce () from C:\Windows\syswow64\KernelBase.dll
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x0119de74 in emacs_abort () at ../../src/w32fns.c:8414
        button = <optimized out>
#2  0x010be544 in terminate_due_to_signal (sig=sig@entry=0xb, backtrace_limit=backtrace_limit@entry=0x28) at ../../src/emacs.c:378
No locals.
#3  0x010d7d3d in handle_fatal_signal (sig=0xb) at ../../src/sysdep.c:1628
No locals.
#4  deliver_thread_signal (sig=0xb, handler=<optimized out>) at ../../src/sysdep.c:1602
        handler = 0x10d7bf2 <handle_fatal_signal>
#5  deliver_fatal_thread_signal (sig=0xb) at ../../src/sysdep.c:1640
No locals.
#6  0x010011ea in _gnu_exception_handler@4 ()
No symbol table info available.
#7  0x76c9fffb in KERNEL32!GetQueuedCompletionStatus () from C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll
No symbol table info available.
#8  0x0088ccc8 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#9  0x779474ff in ntdll!AlpcMaxAllowedMessageLength () from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
No symbol table info available.
#10 0x0088ccc8 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#11 0x77909f45 in ntdll!RtlpNtSetValueKey () from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
No symbol table info available.
#12 0x01170d6e in sprintf (__stream=0x0, __format=0x142e320 "Copying raw data for %.8s...", __format=0x142e320 "Copying raw data for %.8s...") at c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.7.2/../../../../include/stdio.h:269
        __retval = 0x6
        __local_argv = 0x88ffec ""
#13 0x7efde000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#14 0x00000000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.

Lisp Backtrace:
"file-system-info" (0x88d2dc)
"get-free-disk-space" (0x88d478)
"ls-lisp--insert-directory" (0x88d614)
"apply" (0x88d6ec)
"insert-directory" (0x88d898)
"dired-insert-directory" (0x88da40)
"dired-readin-insert" (0x88dbdc)
"dired-readin" (0x88dd88)
"dired-internal-noselect" (0x88df38)
"dired-noselect" (0x88e0d4)
"dired" (0x88e26c)
"dired-restore-desktop-buffer" (0x88e3f8)
0x68c7020 PVEC_COMPILED
"funcall" (0x88e590)
"desktop-create-buffer" (0x88e850)
"eval-buffer" (0x88ea68)
"load-with-code-conversion" (0x88ec00)
"load" (0x88f1ac)
"desktop-read" (0x88f348)
0x58c4650 PVEC_COMPILED
"run-hooks" (0x88f5c8)
"command-line" (0x88f78c)
"normal-top-level" (0x88f8e0)
(gdb)

* bug#16132: Crash on Windows
@ 2013-12-13 19:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-12-13 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Moreton; +Cc: 16132

> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:09:19 +0000
>

> Mingw build of emacs from r115506 running on win7 64bit. Emacs displayed
> the abort dialog during startup, while desktop mode was restoring
> buffers. Attaching a debugger:

Please start Emacs from the debugger, and tell what kind of backtrace
you see then.  The backtrace you collected is not very informative.

If you have non-ASCII file names in your .emacs.desktop file, I
suspect the latest changes with file-name encoding.

Also, do you have w32-downcase-file-names set non-nil?

> Lisp Backtrace:
> "file-system-info" (0x88d2dc)

It would be good to step into file-system-info and see what goes wrong
there.

* bug#16132: Crash on Windows
@ 2013-12-13 22:04   ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2013-12-13 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16132

On Fri 13 Dec 2013, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Mingw build of emacs from r115506 running on win7 64bit. Emacs displayed
>> the abort dialog during startup, while desktop mode was restoring
>> buffers. Attaching a debugger:
>
> Please start Emacs from the debugger, and tell what kind of backtrace
> you see then.  The backtrace you collected is not very informative.

I tried that before sending the report - it was an even less informative
SEGV. I've not had much success with gdb recently, and have not yet
determined what chaegs to emacs or the toolchain are responsible.

> If you have non-ASCII file names in your .emacs.desktop file, I
> suspect the latest changes with file-name encoding.
>
> Also, do you have w32-downcase-file-names set non-nil?

All filenames involved are ASCII-only, and w32-downcase-file-names is nil.

>> Lisp Backtrace:
>> "file-system-info" (0x88d2dc)
>
> It would be good to step into file-system-info and see what goes wrong
> there.

I'll report back if I can persuade gdb to report anything more useful.

    AndyM

* bug#16132: Crash on Windows
@ 2013-12-14  6:58     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-12-14  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Moreton; +Cc: 16132

> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:04:53 +0000
>
> On Fri 13 Dec 2013, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> Mingw build of emacs from r115506 running on win7 64bit. Emacs displayed
> >> the abort dialog during startup, while desktop mode was restoring
> >> buffers. Attaching a debugger:
> >
> > Please start Emacs from the debugger, and tell what kind of backtrace
> > you see then.  The backtrace you collected is not very informative.
>
> I tried that before sending the report - it was an even less informative
> SEGV. I've not had much success with gdb recently, and have not yet
> determined what chaegs to emacs or the toolchain are responsible.

Sorry for asking the obvious: you did check all the threads before
deciding that the backtraces are not useful?

> >> Lisp Backtrace:
> >> "file-system-info" (0x88d2dc)
> >
> > It would be good to step into file-system-info and see what goes wrong
> > there.
>
> I'll report back if I can persuade gdb to report anything more useful.

At the very least, you should be able to set a breakpoint in
Ffile_system_info, and step through that function when it breaks.
Assuming there aren't too many buffers in Dired mode in your desktop
file, you should be able to do that without too much hassle.

Thanks.

* bug#16132: Crash on Windows
@ 2013-12-15 22:51       ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2013-12-15 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16132

On Sat 14 Dec 2013, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:04:53 +0000

>> > Please start Emacs from the debugger, and tell what kind of backtrace
>> > you see then.  The backtrace you collected is not very informative.
>>
>> I tried that before sending the report - it was an even less informative
>> SEGV. I've not had much success with gdb recently, and have not yet
>> determined what chaegs to emacs or the toolchain are responsible.
>
> Sorry for asking the obvious: you did check all the threads before
> deciding that the backtraces are not useful?

Yes - gdb aborted when I tried that, so my gdb setup is clearly not
working well.

>> > It would be good to step into file-system-info and see what goes wrong
>> > there.
>>
>> I'll report back if I can persuade gdb to report anything more useful.
>
> At the very least, you should be able to set a breakpoint in
> Ffile_system_info, and step through that function when it breaks.
> Assuming there aren't too many buffers in Dired mode in your desktop
> file, you should be able to do that without too much hassle.

After a bootstrap from r115533 and then rebuilding at r115539 I now have
a working emacs. I assume this bug was caused by one or more of the
issues that have been fixed over the last couple of days.

    AndyM

* bug#16132: Crash on Windows
@ 2013-12-16  3:42         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-12-16  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Moreton; +Cc: 16132-done

> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:51:17 +0000
>
> After a bootstrap from r115533 and then rebuilding at r115539 I now have
> a working emacs. I assume this bug was caused by one or more of the
> issues that have been fixed over the last couple of days.

Great, thanks.