all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Color codes in GDB-GUD
@ 2017-04-10 12:02 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2017-04-10 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

when working with gdb, started using M-x gdb with -annotate=1 I have color codes ^Z^Z everywhere, like:

^Z^Z\x1a\x1a/home/florian/precice/src/mapping/PetRadialBasisFctMapping.hpp:803:31382:beg:0x11668d9

How can I get rid of them?

gdb 7.12.1 / Emacs 25.1.1

Best Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Color codes in GDB-GUD
@ 2017-04-10 13:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-04-10 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:02:22 +0200
>
> when working with gdb, started using M-x gdb with -annotate=1 I have color codes ^Z^Z everywhere, like:
>
> ^Z^Z\x1a\x1a/home/florian/precice/src/mapping/PetRadialBasisFctMapping.hpp:803:31382:beg:0x11668d9
>
> How can I get rid of them?

Does it help to invoke "M-x gud-gdb RET" instead?

* Re: Color codes in GDB-GUD
@ 2017-04-11  7:03   ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2017-04-11  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.04.2017 um 15:29 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>> Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:02:22 +0200
>>
>> when working with gdb, started using M-x gdb with -annotate=1 I have color codes ^Z^Z everywhere, like:
>>
>> ^Z^Z\x1a\x1a/home/florian/precice/src/mapping/PetRadialBasisFctMapping.hpp:803:31382:beg:0x11668d9
>>
>> How can I get rid of them?
>
> Does it help to invoke "M-x gud-gdb RET" instead?

Hello,

that does seem to fix that issue.

However:

- clicking on the fringe to set a breakpoint does not work anymore
- gdb-many-windows seems to be unavailable.

What is the difference between gdb and gud-gdb?

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Color codes in GDB-GUD
@ 2017-04-11  7:50     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-04-11  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 09:03:09 +0200
>
> >> when working with gdb, started using M-x gdb with -annotate=1 I have color codes ^Z^Z everywhere, like:
> >>
> >> ^Z^Z\x1a\x1a/home/florian/precice/src/mapping/PetRadialBasisFctMapping.hpp:803:31382:beg:0x11668d9
> >>
> >> How can I get rid of them?
> >
> > Does it help to invoke "M-x gud-gdb RET" instead?
>
> Hello,
>
> that does seem to fix that issue.
>
> However:
>
> - clicking on the fringe to set a breakpoint does not work anymore
> - gdb-many-windows seems to be unavailable.

Of course, because gud-gdb doesn't support this fancy new stuff.  If
you want those features, then invoke GDB with "M-x gdb RET", but do
NOT add the -annotate=1 option to the GDB command line.  Instead,
leave the command line as Emacs offers, i.e "gdb -i=mi", and only edit
the name of the program you want to debug, if needed.  The -i=mi part
activates an alternative method of communicating with GDB that doesn't
need the annotations, and that ^Z^Z^Z^Z stuff is produced by
annotations.

> What is the difference between gdb and gud-gdb?

gud-gdb is the old gdb command, which uses annotations; gdb is a new
command which uses the GDB/MI interface for communicating with GDB,
and supports new GUI features in the Emacs GDB front-end.

You need to decide whether you want annotations or the new GUI
features; they cannot be had together.

* Re: Color codes in GDB-GUD
@ 2017-04-12  8:09       ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2017-04-12  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.04.2017 um 09:50 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 09:03:09 +0200

>>> Does it help to invoke "M-x gud-gdb RET" instead?
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> that does seem to fix that issue.
>>
>> However:
>>
>> - clicking on the fringe to set a breakpoint does not work anymore
>> - gdb-many-windows seems to be unavailable.
>
> Of course, because gud-gdb doesn't support this fancy new stuff.  If
> you want those features, then invoke GDB with "M-x gdb RET", but do
> NOT add the -annotate=1 option to the GDB command line.  Instead,
> leave the command line as Emacs offers, i.e "gdb -i=mi", and only edit
> the name of the program you want to debug, if needed.  The -i=mi part
> activates an alternative method of communicating with GDB that doesn't
> need the annotations, and that ^Z^Z^Z^Z stuff is produced by
> annotations.
>
>> What is the difference between gdb and gud-gdb?
>
> gud-gdb is the old gdb command, which uses annotations; gdb is a new
> command which uses the GDB/MI interface for communicating with GDB,
> and supports new GUI features in the Emacs GDB front-end.
>
> You need to decide whether you want annotations or the new GUI
> features; they cannot be had together.

Ah, thanks. I read in all docs to use annotate=1, now it works.

Next step is to tell gdb-mi.el not to fuck with my windows (make windows dedicated, randomly create new frames).

Best,
Florian

* Re: Color codes in GDB-GUD
@ 2017-04-12  9:22         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-04-12  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 10:09:42 +0200
>
> Next step is to tell gdb-mi.el not to fuck with my windows

I don't think you can, gdb-mi.el usurps the frame in which you invoke
it and makes its windows dedicated on purpose.  For best results make
its frame maximized.

My suggestion is to run gdb-mi in a separate frame, so that your other
frame(s) are left intact, as much as possible.