all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Will ezwinports 32 bit DLLs work with 64 bit emacs?
@ 2017-07-26  6:45 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-07-26  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have just installed emacs 25.2 64bit on a 64 bit windows 10 laptop.

Will the DLLs from ezwinports (specifically gnutls and libxml2) work
with a 64 bit emacs?

Would it be better (ie. will the ezwinports DLLs work better) if I use
the 686 version of emacs?

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: Will ezwinports 32 bit DLLs work with 64 bit emacs?
@ 2017-07-26 14:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-07-26 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 08:45:29 +0200
>
> I have just installed emacs 25.2 64bit on a 64 bit windows 10 laptop.
>
> Will the DLLs from ezwinports (specifically gnutls and libxml2) work
> with a 64 bit emacs?

No, of course not.  You cannot use 32-bit DLLs with 64-bit executables
(and vice versa).

> Would it be better (ie. will the ezwinports DLLs work better) if I use
> the 686 version of emacs?

It will be "better" in the sense that those DLLs will then work for
you ;-)

* Re: Will ezwinports 32 bit DLLs work with 64 bit emacs?
@ 2017-07-27  9:34   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-07-27  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> No, of course not.  You cannot use 32-bit DLLs with 64-bit executables
> (and vice versa).

Ok, thanks!

> It will be "better" in the sense that those DLLs will then work for
> you ;-)

Well, there doesn't seem to be any similar collection to ezwinports of
64 bit versions of the essential DLLs for emacs, so this may be the only
way to go.

Thanks again!