all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs configuration on Thinkpad running W10
@ 2018-05-30  9:07 Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2018-05-30  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I use Emacs 24.5.1 on a Thinkpad E570 running Windows 10. My TP has a
french keyboard with no Apps key.  On my previous computer I used Apps
key as the HYPER modifier and I was very happy with these settings:

#+BEGIN_SRC
(setq w32-pass-apps-to-system nil)
(setq w32-apps-modifier 'hyper)
(setq w32-pass-multimedia-buttons-to-system nil)

(global-set-key (kbd "H-a") 'some-function)
#+END_SRC

As there is a PrintScreen key on my keyboard on the right of the
Spacebar between AltGr and CtrlRight I tried to use it in place of
Apps. I run an AutoHotKey command to set PrintScreen key to send Apps:

#+BEGIN_SRC
$PrintScreen::Send {AppsKey}
#+END_SRC

It seems to work fine for Windows Explorer and other applications
(Firefox), but not in Emacs: when I hit Apps key nothing happens and
when I hit Apps + a, Emacs inserts a.

Do I have to change in my config to make it work?

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pquessev@gmail.com

* Re: Emacs configuration on Thinkpad running W10
@ 2018-05-30 16:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-30 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 11:07:25 +0200
>
> As there is a PrintScreen key on my keyboard on the right of the
> Spacebar between AltGr and CtrlRight I tried to use it in place of
> Apps. I run an AutoHotKey command to set PrintScreen key to send Apps:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC
> $PrintScreen::Send {AppsKey}
> #+END_SRC
>
> It seems to work fine for Windows Explorer and other applications
> (Firefox), but not in Emacs: when I hit Apps key nothing happens and
> when I hit Apps + a, Emacs inserts a.
>
> Do I have to change in my config to make it work?

I suggest to try Emacs 25, it's supposed to resolve some problems with
Windows hiding keys from applications.

* Re: Emacs configuration on Thinkpad running W10
@ 2018-06-01  8:33   ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2018-06-01  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>In article <83zi0hgk8r.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

  EZ> I suggest to try Emacs 25, it's supposed to resolve some problems with
  EZ> Windows hiding keys from applications.

I'll try. Thank you.

--

@ 2018-06-01  8:46     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-01  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 10:33:38 +0200
>
> >In article <83zi0hgk8r.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>   EZ> I suggest to try Emacs 25, it's supposed to resolve some problems with
>   EZ> Windows hiding keys from applications.
>
> I'll try. Thank you.

Actually, Emacs 26.1 (released just a few days ago) should be even
better in that respect, so perhaps try that version instead.

* Re: Emacs configuration on Thinkpad running W10
@ 2018-06-05 17:37   ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2018-06-05 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

  EZ> I suggest to try Emacs 25, it's supposed to resolve some problems with
  EZ> Windows hiding keys from applications.

So I have installed emacs 26.1 using emacs-26.1-i686-no-deps.zip.

Things have changed a little bit:

  - when w32-apps-modifier is set to nil, hitting PrintScreen causes
    the following display in the minibuffer: <apps> is undefined.
  - when w32-apps-modifier is set to hyper, nothing is printed and
    keys defined with hyper modifier don't work

The translation from PrintScreen to Apps by AutoHotkey seems to work,
but I am still unable to use it as a modifier.

Moreover I have installation problems with emacs 26.1: gnutls library
is not found. There is one in my path coming from EzWin ports.

--

@ 2018-06-05 18:29     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-05 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 19:37:59 +0200
>
> So I have installed emacs 26.1 using emacs-26.1-i686-no-deps.zip.
>
> Things have changed a little bit:
>
>   - when w32-apps-modifier is set to nil, hitting PrintScreen causes
>     the following display in the minibuffer: <apps> is undefined.
>   - when w32-apps-modifier is set to hyper, nothing is printed and
>     keys defined with hyper modifier don't work
>
> The translation from PrintScreen to Apps by AutoHotkey seems to work,
> but I am still unable to use it as a modifier.

And if you don't remap PrintScreen, but use the Apps key itself
instead, then it does work as a modifier?

> Moreover I have installation problems with emacs 26.1: gnutls library
> is not found. There is one in my path coming from EzWin ports.

What is the value of libgnutls-version in your Emacs 26.1?  It could
be that the Emacs binary was compiled against a version of GnuTLS that
is incompatible with the library you have installed.

* Re: Emacs configuration on Thinkpad running W10
@ 2018-06-05 18:57       ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2018-06-05 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 June 2018 at 14:29, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 19:37:59 +0200
>>
>> So I have installed emacs 26.1 using emacs-26.1-i686-no-deps.zip.

>> Moreover I have installation problems with emacs 26.1: gnutls library
>> is not found. There is one in my path coming from EzWin ports.
>
> What is the value of libgnutls-version in your Emacs 26.1?  It could
> be that the Emacs binary was compiled against a version of GnuTLS that
> is incompatible with the library you have installed.

and presumably the compatible version would be found in emacs-26-i686-deps.zip

* Re: Emacs configuration on Thinkpad running W10
@ 2018-06-06  8:01         ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2018-06-06  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>"NP" == Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> writes:

  NP> and presumably the compatible version would be found in
  NP> emacs-26-i686-deps.zip

Actually I didn't get the difference between the two zips.

--

@ 2018-06-06 11:31           ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2018-06-06 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 June 2018 at 04:01, Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>"NP" == Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> writes:
>
>   NP> and presumably the compatible version would be found in
>   NP> emacs-26-i686-deps.zip
>
> Actually I didn't get the difference between the two zips.

emacs-26.1-i686.zip has the contents of emacs-26-i686-deps.zip included,
emacs-26.1-i686-no-deps.zip does not.

https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/README:

  We also provide a set of optional dependencies, in
  emacs-25-x86_64-deps.zip or emacs-25-i686-deps.zip respectively,
  which provide Emacs with an number of additional capabilities. To
  add these, unpack them directly over the emacs directory structure.

  [...]

  In addition, as described, there is a separate dependency bundle
  providing support for many images formats, TLS, XML parsing and
  compression.

* Re: Emacs configuration on Thinkpad running W10
@ 2018-06-06 17:38       ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2018-06-06 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

  EZ> And if you don't remap PrintScreen, but use the Apps key itself
  EZ> instead, then it does work as a modifier?

  There is no apps key on my keyboard. But I have plugged an external
USB keyboard with apps key. So when w32-apps-modifier is set to nil,
PrintScreen on the ThinkPad keyboard, and Apps key on the external
keyboard both cause the display of "<apps> is undefined". When
w32-apps-modifier is set to hyper, Apps key on the external keyboard
work as a modifier, and PrintScreen don't.

 Otherwise emacs 26.1 works well with dependancies installed.

--

@ 2018-06-06 17:54         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-06 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:38:26 +0200
>
> >"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>   EZ> And if you don't remap PrintScreen, but use the Apps key itself
>   EZ> instead, then it does work as a modifier?
>
>   There is no apps key on my keyboard. But I have plugged an external
> USB keyboard with apps key. So when w32-apps-modifier is set to nil,
> PrintScreen on the ThinkPad keyboard, and Apps key on the external
> keyboard both cause the display of "<apps> is undefined". When
> w32-apps-modifier is set to hyper, Apps key on the external keyboard
> work as a modifier, and PrintScreen don't.

I guess this means that the method used by Emacs to get at the keys is
incompatible with the program that does the remapping.  Sorry.

* Re: Emacs configuration on Thinkpad running W10
@ 2018-06-07  8:16           ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2018-06-07  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

  EZ> I guess this means that the method used by Emacs to get at the keys is
  EZ> incompatible with the program that does the remapping.  Sorry.

You are right. I have used KeyTweak application to remap PrintScreen
to Apps (which is called Context menu in KeyTweak) and then everything
is OK.

Thanks a lot.

--
Pascal Quesseveur