all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cygwin -- getting *shell* to parse pipes & other unix cmd-line stuff?
@ 2012-10-03  4:39 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2012-10-03  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On XP, I've been using cygwin and emacs for some time now.

One thing I have (incorrectly?) noted:

If I do START --> run --> cmd-window, and get that
little white-on-black blackboard-like window, yes
I can run sh, etc, and it all seems to work, even
complicated command-lines.

A problem with that (horrible) method is that:

a: there's no way to "paste" a long command or anything
   else into that window -- you have to type everything
   in *by hand*.  So lots of typos you wouldn't have
   if you could just cut from somewhere and pasted
   into that blackboard-like window.

b: no way to get it to go full-screen.

c: and so on.

But yes, you can at least run a unix command-line,
pipes, `expand me exprs`, etc, all that good
stuff.

----

What would be really NICE would to be able to do
that from *shell*.

But I don't seem able to run the cygwin "sh" or
"tcsh" in *shell*.   I can run cygwin stuff ok,
but not in complicated unix-like commands; it works
for me only if I do it one thing at a time, via
simple commands.

Question: is there a way to run complex command-lines
in *shell*?

If so, how?

thanks!

David

* RE: cygwin -- getting *shell* to parse pipes & other unix cmd-line stuff?
@ 2012-10-03 11:40 ` Doug Lewan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-10-03 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Combs, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

In both CYGWIN terminal and rxvt terminal I find that the middle mouse button works to paste.

I hope this helps.

,Doug

@ 2012-10-03 17:07 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.10228.1349284104.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.10194.1349264371.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-03 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: 3 Oct 2012 00:39:30 -0400
>
> On XP, I've been using cygwin and emacs for some time now.
>
> One thing I have (incorrectly?) noted:
>
> If I do START --> run --> cmd-window, and get that
> little white-on-black blackboard-like window, yes
> I can run sh, etc, and it all seems to work, even
> complicated command-lines.
>
> A problem with that (horrible) method is that:
>
> a: there's no way to "paste" a long command or anything
>    else into that window -- you have to type everything
>    in *by hand*.  So lots of typos you wouldn't have
>    if you could just cut from somewhere and pasted
>    into that blackboard-like window.

Right-click the title bar of the cmd window and select Edit->Paste.
That's it!

> b: no way to get it to go full-screen.

Try Alt-Enter.

> c: and so on.

What else?

@ 2012-10-12 21:11   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2012-10-12 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.10228.1349284104.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
>> Date: 3 Oct 2012 00:39:30 -0400
>>
>> On XP, I've been using cygwin and emacs for some time now.
>>
>> One thing I have (incorrectly?) noted:
>>
>> If I do START --> run --> cmd-window, and get that
>> little white-on-black blackboard-like window, yes
>> I can run sh, etc, and it all seems to work, even
>> complicated command-lines.
>>
>> A problem with that (horrible) method is that:
>>
>> a: there's no way to "paste" a long command or anything
>>    else into that window -- you have to type everything
>>    in *by hand*.  So lots of typos you wouldn't have
>>    if you could just cut from somewhere and pasted
>>    into that blackboard-like window.
>
>Right-click the title bar of the cmd window and select Edit->Paste.
>That's it!
>
>> b: no way to get it to go full-screen.
>
>Try Alt-Enter.
>
>> c: and so on.
>
>What else?

Thanks!

OK, the edit--> paste works.

The alt-enter expands to full screen, but like a magnifying
glass.  Same number of lines.  Of course what you'd like
is a full 60 or so lines.

The enter-->  menu has a greyed-out "copy" -- seems to be
now way to "blue out" (via sweeping the mouse) an area
within that window *to* "copy".  What's the trick for
this one?

Thanks much!

Question: your use here is separate from using emacs,
yes?

@ 2012-10-12 21:16   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2012-10-12 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.10194.1349264371.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Doug Lewan  <dougl@shubertticketing.com> wrote:
>In both CYGWIN terminal and rxvt terminal I find that the middle mouse button works to paste.
>
>I hope this helps.
>
>,Doug

What are CYGWINI and rxvt terminals, where are they,
and how to run them?

Here is an M-x occur of term in my cygwin/bin (is yours different?):

4 matches for "term" in buffer: bin
    524:  -rw-rw-rw-   1 DKC      root          2167 2009-02-18  koi8rxterm
    968:  -rwxrwxrwx   1 DKC      root          4608 2008-11-06  ppmtoterm.exe
   1216:  -rw-rw-rw-   1 DKC      root          2092 2009-02-18  uxterm
   1276:  -rwxrwxrwx   1 DKC      root        373760 2009-02-18  xterm.exe

@ 2012-10-12 21:47     ` David Combs
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10880.1350113364.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Combs @ 2012-10-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here's what I *really* want to do:

Use emacs, *shell*, and within that (*shell*),
be able to pretend that I'm on a REAL computer,
and use the full unix/linix command-line parsing stuff,
eg "ls `cat foo.nam`", parens and subjobs, and >>EOF ... EOF,
all that stuff.

All without having to ever resort to the xp "cmd" window --
do it all straight out of the nice full-screen emacs
*shell* display.

Emacs already gives me the fiction that I'm on eg a
sun or linux, but where that falls down is in
*shell* typing in command-lines.

---

I've also tried, in *shell*, running the cygwin
tcsh, but with no success.  (I forget the difficulty
I had, but it was complete, that difficulty.)

---

Something I noticed some time (years?) ago (still true?) was
that cygwin had two versions, new and old (or standard?),
but that the new one's bin had far fewer programs
than did the old one.

My version of cygwin is Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

---------------------- OOPS: CURRENT AVAILABLE CYGWINI IS 1.7:

Just looked at http://cygwin.com/, saw that 1.7 is the
newest thing (I guess mine is pretty ancient), but that
going to it requires lots of changes.  Hmmm.

(Mine is 1.5)

Has everyone switched to 1.7, or are a lots of (smart)
people still using 1.5?

Sure wouldn't want to try to install the new one and
screw up and thus also lose the one I have!

Question: would 1.7 make my *shell* experience
a lot better, given the problems I've listed
above?

@ 2012-10-13  7:02       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-13  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:47:19 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Here's what I *really* want to do:
>
> Use emacs, *shell*, and within that (*shell*),
> be able to pretend that I'm on a REAL computer,
> and use the full unix/linix command-line parsing stuff,
> eg "ls `cat foo.nam`", parens and subjobs, and >>EOF ... EOF,
> all that stuff.
>
> All without having to ever resort to the xp "cmd" window --
> do it all straight out of the nice full-screen emacs
> *shell* display.

Did you try "M-x eshell RET"?

* Re: cygwin -- getting *shell* to parse pipes & other unix cmd-line stuff?
@ 2012-10-13  7:29     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10880.1350113364.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-13  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:11:33 +0000 (UTC)
>
> OK, the edit--> paste works.
>
> The alt-enter expands to full screen, but like a magnifying
> glass.  Same number of lines.  Of course what you'd like
> is a full 60 or so lines.

I don't think it supports an arbitrary number of lines, only those
supported by the VGA mode of your video card.  Try setting the cmd
window to 50 lines, and then I'd expect Alt-Enter to give you a
50-line full-screen display.

> The enter-->  menu has a greyed-out "copy" -- seems to be
> now way to "blue out" (via sweeping the mouse) an area
> within that window *to* "copy".  What's the trick for
> this one?

Edit->Mark, then mark with the mouse.

> Question: your use here is separate from using emacs,
> yes?

The above has nothing to do with Emacs at all, it's all basic Windows
trickery.

@ 2012-10-13 14:18       ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2012-10-13 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.10880.1350113364.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
>> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:11:33 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>> OK, the edit--> paste works.
>>
>> The alt-enter expands to full screen, but like a magnifying
>> glass.  Same number of lines.  Of course what you'd like
>> is a full 60 or so lines.
>
>I don't think it supports an arbitrary number of lines, only those
>supported by the VGA mode of your video card.  Try setting the cmd
>window to 50 lines,

Thanks, but How?

@ 2012-10-13 15:34         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-13 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 14:18:20 +0000 (UTC)
>
> In article <mailman.10880.1350113364.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> >> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:11:33 +0000 (UTC)
> >>
> >> OK, the edit--> paste works.
> >>
> >> The alt-enter expands to full screen, but like a magnifying
> >> glass.  Same number of lines.  Of course what you'd like
> >> is a full 60 or so lines.
> >
> >I don't think it supports an arbitrary number of lines, only those
> >supported by the VGA mode of your video card.  Try setting the cmd
> >window to 50 lines,
>
> Thanks, but How?

Right-click on the window title bar, select Properties and under
"Layout" set the "Height" value in the "Window Size" group.

* Re: cygwin -- getting *shell* to parse pipes & other unix cmd-line stuff?
@ 2012-10-28 11:03   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-10-28 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-10-03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Right-click the title bar of the cmd window and select Edit->Paste.
> That's it!

I recommend instead use mintty from Cygwin (which replacement for rxvt and
standard Cygwin terminal emulator).

It allow paste by Shift+Inc and copy by mouse selection (whole line for double
click).

--
Best regards!

* Re: cygwin -- getting *shell* to parse pipes & other unix cmd-line stuff?
@ 2012-10-28 16:37     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-28 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 13:03:38 +0200
>
> On 2012-10-03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Right-click the title bar of the cmd window and select Edit->Paste.
> > That's it!
>
> I recommend instead use mintty from Cygwin (which replacement for rxvt and
> standard Cygwin terminal emulator).
>
> It allow paste by Shift+Inc and copy by mouse selection (whole line for double
> click).

So does the cmd window, if you set the QuickEdit option.  (Well, no
Shift-Insert is supported, but right-clicking the mouse to paste is no
less convenient.)

* Re: cygwin -- getting *shell* to parse pipes & other unix cmd-line stuff?
@ 2012-10-28 18:56       ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-10-28 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-10-28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 13:03:38 +0200
>>
>> On 2012-10-03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>> > Right-click the title bar of the cmd window and select Edit->Paste.
>> > That's it!
>>
>> I recommend instead use mintty from Cygwin (which replacement for rxvt and
>> standard Cygwin terminal emulator).
>>
>> It allow paste by Shift+Inc and copy by mouse selection (whole line for
>> double click).
>
> So does the cmd window, if you set the QuickEdit option.  (Well, no
> Shift-Insert is supported, but right-clicking the mouse to paste is no
> less convenient.)

Ok.

But most useful things from mintty is custom fonts and switchable background
colour (I definitely like black on white)...

Anyone can get another goodies, just read:

  http://code.google.com/p/mintty/
                Xterm-compatible terminal emulation
                Comprehensive character encoding support, including UTF-8
                256 colours

My ~/.minttyrc:

  ; -*- mode: conf -*-

  ForegroundColour=0,0,0
  BackgroundColour=255,255,255
  CursorColour=165,42,42

  ; Block, Underscore, Line.
  CursorType=Block
  CursorBlinks=yes

  ; Off, Low, Medium, High, Glass (>= Vista only).
  Transparency=Low
  OpaqueWhenFocused=yes

  ; 'Lucida Console' and 'Courier New' are the best fixed width font under Windows.
  Font=Courier New
  BoldAsFont=yes
  FontHeight=10
  AllowBlinking=no

  FontSmoothing=None

  BackspaceSendsBS=no
  ; Enable Ctrl+Ins and Shift+Ins.
  ClipShortcuts=yes
  ; Disable Windows Alt+Space and Alt+Enter shortcuts.
  WindowShortcuts=no
  ; Disable Ctrl+TAB and Ctrl+Shift+TAB shortcuts for use in screen(1).
  SwitchShortcuts=no
  ; Enable font zooming shortcuts Ctrl+plus/minus/zero.
  ZoomShortcuts=yes
  ; Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Off.
  ScrollMod=Shift

  CopyAsRTF=yes

  ; Use mouse copy on select like in X window.
  CopyOnSelect=yes
  ClicksPlaceCursor=no
  RightClickAction=menu

  BellSound=no

  Term=xterm-256color
  Answerback=

  Columns=120
  Rows=40
  Scrollbar=right
  ScrollbackLines=10000
  ConfirmExit=yes

--
Best regards!

* Re: cygwin -- getting *shell* to parse pipes & other unix cmd-line stuff?
@ 2012-10-28 19:28         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-28 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:56:29 +0200
>
> But most useful things from mintty is custom fonts and switchable background
> colour (I definitely like black on white)...

Likewise with the cmd window.

Really, can we please stop these plugs?  The OP asked a specific
question, and it wasn't about mintty.