all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Chinese filenames un-readable in Dired mode
@ 2014-05-27 15:28 owen263
From: owen263 @ 2014-05-27 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I understand that this problem has lasted in a long time. Could anyone tell me why the dired mode can't print correct chinese filenames? I am in Windows 7 and has MinGW/MSYS installed, even when my msys ls.exe could print the chinese filenames correctly, the Emacs dired mode still shows no chinese but the escape characters.

Is there any progress? Any ideas? Thank you!

* Re: Chinese filenames un-readable in Dired mode
@ 2014-05-27 18:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-05-27 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 08:28:05 -0700 (PDT)
> From: owen263@gmail.com
>
> I understand that this problem has lasted in a long time. Could anyone tell me why the dired mode can't print correct chinese filenames? I am in Windows 7 and has MinGW/MSYS installed, even when my msys ls.exe could print the chinese filenames correctly, the Emacs dired mode still shows no chinese but the escape characters.
>
> Is there any progress? Any ideas? Thank you!

Get the pretest of the next release 24.4 (or a development snaphsot),
this problem should be solved there.