all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#35061: 27.0.50; Pressing C-\ in term-mode while program is running crashes the program.
@ 2019-03-31 16:18 Sergey Trofimov
From: Sergey Trofimov @ 2019-03-31 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 35061

If I press C-\ (bound to term-send-raw) while some non-interactive
program is running in term-mode then the program crashes with nothing
suspicious in core dump. I've tried this in emacs 27.0.50 and emacs
26.1 started with -Q on Debian Linux.

So, to reproduce this, start term-mode with any shell, enter sleep 5 and
while the program is running press C-\. If I start program which expects
input from stdin (less, for example) then this bug doesn't appear.

* bug#35061: 27.0.50; Pressing C-\ in term-mode while program is running crashes the program.
@ 2019-03-31 19:52 ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2019-03-31 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Trofimov; +Cc: 35061

Sergey Trofimov <sarg@sarg.org.ru> writes:

> If I press C-\ (bound to term-send-raw) while some non-interactive
> program is running in term-mode then the program crashes with nothing
> suspicious in core dump. I've tried this in emacs 27.0.50 and emacs
> 26.1 started with -Q on Debian Linux.
>
> So, to reproduce this, start term-mode with any shell, enter sleep 5 and
> while the program is running press C-\. If I start program which expects
> input from stdin (less, for example) then this bug doesn't appear.

I get this

    $ sleep 5
    ^\Quit
    $

But I get the same result in an rxvt terminal, so I don't think it's a
bug.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_(command)#Unix_and_Unix-like
says:

    It is also common [...] for CTRL+\ (backslash) to be mapped to SIGQUIT,
    which can force a program to do a core dump.

* bug#35061: 27.0.50; Pressing C-\ in term-mode while program is running crashes the program.
@ 2019-03-31 20:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-03-31 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Trofimov; +Cc: 35061

> From: Sergey Trofimov <sarg@sarg.org.ru>
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 19:18:16 +0300
>

> If I press C-\ (bound to term-send-raw) while some non-interactive
> program is running in term-mode then the program crashes with nothing
> suspicious in core dump.

C-\ triggers SIGQUIT.