all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What happened to M-x calc...?
@ 2019-12-02 16:53 Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2019-12-02 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I used to be able to just do M-x calc to invoke the programmable
calculator, now, for some reason, when I (using helm) do M-x calc, it does
not list calc as one of the autoloaded emacs commands. Everything else is
there, calc-dispatch, calc-mode, etc...but not plain old calc. There's the
C-x * C which invokes calc-dispatch with the Calc command passed into it
invoking the programmable calculator, but that's just more keystrokes. I
want my M-x calc back...help.

* Re: What happened to M-x calc...?
@ 2019-12-02 16:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-12-02 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 11:53:31 -0500
>
> I used to be able to just do M-x calc to invoke the programmable
> calculator, now, for some reason, when I (using helm) do M-x calc, it does
> not list calc as one of the autoloaded emacs commands.

It does here, so it's something local on your system.

* Re: What happened to M-x calc...?
@ 2019-12-02 21:53   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-12-02 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 11:53:31 -0500
>>
>> I used to be able to just do M-x calc to invoke the programmable
>> calculator, now, for some reason, when I (using helm) do M-x calc, it does
>> not list calc as one of the autoloaded emacs commands.
>
> It does here, so it's something local on your system.

I'm finding that something odd has happened to helm recently, and
`helm-M-x' is not showing me many interactive commands. Helm seems to
have been changed recently (possibly to integrate better with the
built-in completion framework?) but I haven't found a run-down of what
changed, and haven't taken the time to figure it out.

helm-M-x doesn't show me `calc' either, but eg:

(global-set-key (kbd "<f9>") #'calc)

works just fine.

Eric

* Re: What happened to M-x calc...?
@ 2019-12-02 23:04     ` Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2019-12-02 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I'm thinking it's an issue with helm-M-x as well. When I start emacs with
no config file, M-x calc shows up and works just fine. For some reason,
after the last helm package update, this command does not show up. It makes
me wonder what other commands are being shadowed by helm-M-x....

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, 4:54 PM Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 11:53:31 -0500
> >>
> >> I used to be able to just do M-x calc to invoke the programmable
> >> calculator, now, for some reason, when I (using helm) do M-x calc, it
> does
> >> not list calc as one of the autoloaded emacs commands.
> >
> > It does here, so it's something local on your system.
>
> I'm finding that something odd has happened to helm recently, and
> `helm-M-x' is not showing me many interactive commands. Helm seems to
> have been changed recently (possibly to integrate better with the
> built-in completion framework?) but I haven't found a run-down of what
> changed, and haven't taken the time to figure it out.
>
> helm-M-x doesn't show me `calc' either, but eg:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f9>") #'calc)
>
> works just fine.
>
> Eric

* Re: What happened to M-x calc...?
@ 2019-12-05  4:46     ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-12-05  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm finding that something odd has happened to helm recently, and
> `helm-M-x' is not showing me many interactive commands.

With the latest (very recent) release of helm, I too thought
it was missing out some interactive commands, but as it turned
out (at least for me) it's merely become very slow. If I wait
long enough (sometimes on the order of several seconds) the
desired command will inevitably show up. Not ideal and at
times annoying, but not enough so to go to the pain of
reverting versions.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: What happened to M-x calc...?
@ 2019-12-05 16:05       ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-12-05 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

One final observation: in the latest helm, I just noticed that
helm-M-x-use-completion-styles now defaults to t. This kills
M-x fuzzy searching. When I changed
helm-M-x-use-completion-styles back to nil, fuzzy searching
returned and helm's performance was pretty much back to
pre-update levels.

--

@ 2019-12-05 18:30         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-12-05 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> One final observation: in the latest helm, I just noticed that
> helm-M-x-use-completion-styles now defaults to t. This kills
> M-x fuzzy searching. When I changed
> helm-M-x-use-completion-styles back to nil, fuzzy searching
> returned and helm's performance was pretty much back to
> pre-update levels.

Thanks for that tip! I've set it back to nil, as well. In principle I
think it's a good thing that Emacs' built-in completion stuff is
"building upwards" to do more of the fundamental work of fancier
completion frameworks, but that was still a bit too painful to use.