all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs starts writing in reverse order
@ 2021-02-06 12:55 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2021-02-06 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
not sure what the problem is, but using packaged emacs 26.3
(ubuntu/neon), spacemacs 0.300, I have a problem editing org mode
source code snippets: whenever I start a src code block, the editing
switches to an inderect buffer, but when I exit from the buffer to the
original document Emacs starts writing in the opposite direction.
I mean that the cursosr is fixed on the left of the line, and words
are typing in an append mode, so that "emacs" appears as "scame". This
happens only in the current buffer, other buffers do behave correctly.
What is happening? I suspect is something related to bidirectional
editing, could it be?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: emacs starts writing in reverse order
@ 2021-02-06 13:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-02-06 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 13:55:06 +0100
>
> not sure what the problem is, but using packaged emacs 26.3
> (ubuntu/neon), spacemacs 0.300, I have a problem editing org mode
> source code snippets: whenever I start a src code block, the editing
> switches to an inderect buffer, but when I exit from the buffer to the
> original document Emacs starts writing in the opposite direction.
> I mean that the cursosr is fixed on the left of the line, and words
> are typing in an append mode, so that "emacs" appears as "scame". This
> happens only in the current buffer, other buffers do behave correctly.
> What is happening? I suspect is something related to bidirectional
> editing, could it be?

When that happens, what is the value of bidi-paragraph-direction in
the buffer where it happens?

* Re: emacs starts writing in reverse order
@ 2021-02-06 13:19   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-02-06 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 15:14:57 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 13:55:06 +0100
> >
> > not sure what the problem is, but using packaged emacs 26.3
> > (ubuntu/neon), spacemacs 0.300, I have a problem editing org mode
> > source code snippets: whenever I start a src code block, the editing
> > switches to an inderect buffer, but when I exit from the buffer to the
> > original document Emacs starts writing in the opposite direction.
> > I mean that the cursosr is fixed on the left of the line, and words
> > are typing in an append mode, so that "emacs" appears as "scame". This
> > happens only in the current buffer, other buffers do behave correctly.
> > What is happening? I suspect is something related to bidirectional
> > editing, could it be?
>
> When that happens, what is the value of bidi-paragraph-direction in
> the buffer where it happens?

Scratch that, it cannot have anything to do with your problem.

Instead, please look closely at the line where you type the text and
see if there's some hidden control character there.

Does this happen in a vanilla "emacs -Q"?  If so, can you present the
shortest recipe for reproducing the problem starting with "emacs -Q"?

* Re: emacs starts writing in reverse order
@ 2021-02-06 14:49 ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2021-02-06 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 1:55 PM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is happening? I suspect is something related to bidirectional
> editing, could it be?

In particular I can see that this happens when I label the source code
snippet with a language. If I enter a block without the language I'm
able to edit it inline and nothing strange happens, but if I mark the
block of code such as 'sql' then Emacs does not allow me to edit it
inline,. I have to switch to an indirect buffer and when I return from
such buffer Emacs seems to be screwed up.

Luca