all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 15:13 Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-09-22 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Some unicode chars display with excessive height
eg if the file (buffer) has these 3 lines

∀

emacs shows the ∀ as having 3 lines and the cursor triples its height on that
The fraktur L 𝔏 looks like 5 (2 above 2 below)

What should I do?

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 15:45 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-09-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusi; +Cc: Emacs Help

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some unicode chars display with excessive height
> eg if the file (buffer) has these 3 lines

> emacs shows the ∀ as having 3 lines and the cursor triples its height on that
> The fraktur L 𝔏 looks like 5 (2 above 2 below)
>
> What should I do?

What version of Emacs are you using? What font are you using? Is your
font a fixed width font? Do you have any packages installed that might
make the font appear larger?

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 15:50   ` Óscar Fuentes
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1606.1442937082.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-09-22 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some unicode chars display with excessive height
>> eg if the file (buffer) has these 3 lines
>
>> emacs shows the ∀ as having 3 lines and the cursor triples its height on that
>> The fraktur L 𝔏 looks like 5 (2 above 2 below)
>>
>> What should I do?
>
> What version of Emacs are you using? What font are you using? Is your
> font a fixed width font? Do you have any packages installed that might
> make the font appear larger?

And check that the font used for those Unicode chars is the same as for
the ASCII chars. Sometimes Emacs will swith to another font for
displaying certain chars despite the default font having support for
those chars.

M-x describe-char with the cursor on the interesting char will tell you
the font used.

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 15:59   ` Sergey Organov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1606.1442937082.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sergey Organov @ 2015-09-22 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some unicode chars display with excessive height
>> eg if the file (buffer) has these 3 lines
>
>> emacs shows the ∀ as having 3 lines and the cursor triples its height on that
>> The fraktur L 𝔏 looks like 5 (2 above 2 below)
>>
>> What should I do?
>
> What version of Emacs are you using? What font are you using? Is your
> font a fixed width font? Do you have any packages installed that might
> make the font appear larger?

I see this (huge cursor height and interline spacing) as well.

GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2015-03-08 on binet, modified by Debian

That's what (C-u C-x =) gives on the ∀:
             position: 842 of 1841 (46%), restriction: <131-1842>, column: 37
            character: ∀ (displayed as ∀) (codepoint 8704, #o21000, #x2200)
    preferred charset: unicode-bmp (Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane (U+0000..U+FFFF))
code point in charset: 0x2200
               script: symbol
               syntax: . 	which means: punctuation
             category: .:Base, h:Korean, j:Japanese
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #xE2 #x88 #x80
            file code: #xE2 #x88 #x80 (encoded by coding system utf-8-emacs-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-unknown-TeX Gyre Termes Math-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#xEFE)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: FOR ALL
  general-category: Sm (Symbol, Math)
  decomposition: (8704) ('∀')

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t
  rear-nonsticky       t

On 𝔏 it gives:
             position: 1654 of 1679 (98%), restriction: <131-1680>, column: 3
            character: 𝔏 (displayed as 𝔏) (codepoint 120079, #o352417, #x1d50f)
    preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0x1D50F
               script: mathematical
               syntax: w 	which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong)
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #xF0 #x9D #x94 #x8F
            file code: #xF0 #x9D #x94 #x8F (encoded by coding system utf-8-emacs)
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-unknown-Latin Modern Math-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#xD99)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: MATHEMATICAL FRAKTUR CAPITAL L
  general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)
  decomposition: (font 76) (font 'L')

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t
  rear-nonsticky       t

-- Sergey.

@ 2015-09-22 16:08     ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-09-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 9:21:25 PM UTC+5:30, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Grant Rettke  writes:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Rusi  wrote:
> >> Some unicode chars display with excessive height
> >> eg if the file (buffer) has these 3 lines
> >
> >> emacs shows the ∀ as having 3 lines and the cursor triples its height on that
> >> The fraktur L 𝔏 looks like 5 (2 above 2 below)
> >>
> >> What should I do?
> >
> > What version of Emacs are you using?

24.4.1

> > What font are you using? Is your
> > font a fixed width font? Do you have any packages installed that might
> > make the font appear larger?

Started emacs with -Q to avoid any clashes. Still the same

> And check that the font used for those Unicode chars is the same as for
> the ASCII chars. Sometimes Emacs will swith to another font for
> displaying certain chars despite the default font having support for
> those chars.
>
> M-x describe-char with the cursor on the interesting char will tell you
> the font used.

C-u C-x = for these three give

∀: xft:-unknown-TeX Gyre Termes Math-normal-normal-normal-*-17-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#xEFE)

a: xft:-unknown-Ubuntu Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-17-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x44)

𝔏: xft:-unknown-Latin Modern Math-normal-normal-normal-*-17-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#xD99)

So I guess I need to install some comprehensive unicode font like
adobe source code pro??

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 16:41       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1610.1442940060.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-22 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 09:08:38 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 9:21:25 PM UTC+5:30, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> > Grant Rettke  writes:

> > > What version of Emacs are you using?
>
> 24.4.1

The development sources fix this problem.

> > And check that the font used for those Unicode chars is the same as for
> > the ASCII chars. Sometimes Emacs will swith to another font for
> > displaying certain chars despite the default font having support for
> > those chars.
> >
> > M-x describe-char with the cursor on the interesting char will tell you
> > the font used.
>
> C-u C-x = for these three give
>
> ∀: xft:-unknown-TeX Gyre Termes Math-normal-normal-normal-*-17-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#xEFE)
>
> a: xft:-unknown-Ubuntu Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-17-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x44)
>
> 𝔏: xft:-unknown-Latin Modern Math-normal-normal-normal-*-17-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#xD99)

The Latin Modern Math font (and many other "math" fonts) specify a
preposterously large global height value.  Previously, Emacs always
obeyed that global value, with the effect that you see.  In the
development sources, we ignore such large values, and instead compute
our own value using the actual characters from the font.

If you want to work around that in Emacs before 25.1, find a font that
supports those symbols, but does not specify such large height values.

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 16:52       ` Óscar Fuentes
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1615.1442941512.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1610.1442940060.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-09-22 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> So I guess I need to install some comprehensive unicode font like
> adobe source code pro??

It is worth a try (Deja Vu Sans Mono covers a lot too), altough as
mentioned on my previous message, Emacs sometimes uses another font when
the default one encodes the Unicode char. On a discussion with an Emacs
hacker long time ago he mentioned that maybe such font does not correcty
report the chars it covers.

On my Emacs v 25.0.50.1 on Kubuntu 15.04, started with -Q and setting
the default font to "Source Code Pro" or Consolas, "Ume Mincho" is used
for ∀, but with "Deja Vu Sans Mono" as the default font there is no
problem.

In any case, I don't see the anormal vertical size you report. There is
a bit of a discrepance (maybe 20%), but it is expected when you (or
Emacs, in this case) mix different fonts on the same line.

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 17:05         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1615.1442941512.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-22 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:52:22 +0200
>
> Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So I guess I need to install some comprehensive unicode font like
> > adobe source code pro??
>
> It is worth a try (Deja Vu Sans Mono covers a lot too), altough as
> mentioned on my previous message, Emacs sometimes uses another font when
> the default one encodes the Unicode char. On a discussion with an Emacs
> hacker long time ago he mentioned that maybe such font does not correcty
> report the chars it covers.

Emacs doesn't open fonts it considers for a given character, to avoid
a long delay when many fonts are tried (opening a font is expensive).
Without opening a font, it is impossible to know with 100% certainty
whether a font that declares coverage of some range of characters
indeed includes a glyph for each character in that range.

> On my Emacs v 25.0.50.1 on Kubuntu 15.04, started with -Q and setting
> the default font to "Source Code Pro" or Consolas, "Ume Mincho" is used
> for ∀, but with "Deja Vu Sans Mono" as the default font there is no
> problem.

Your Emacs has the problem reported by the OP solved, so the fonts you
use not necessarily will solve his problem with Emacs 24.4.

@ 2015-09-22 17:10           ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-09-22 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 10:35:15 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Óscar Fuentes
> > Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:52:22 +0200
> >
> > Rusi writes:
> >
> > > So I guess I need to install some comprehensive unicode font like
> > > adobe source code pro??
> >
> > It is worth a try (Deja Vu Sans Mono covers a lot too), altough as
> > mentioned on my previous message, Emacs sometimes uses another font when
> > the default one encodes the Unicode char. On a discussion with an Emacs
> > hacker long time ago he mentioned that maybe such font does not correcty
> > report the chars it covers.
>
> Emacs doesn't open fonts it considers for a given character, to avoid
> a long delay when many fonts are tried (opening a font is expensive).
> Without opening a font, it is impossible to know with 100% certainty
> whether a font that declares coverage of some range of characters
> indeed includes a glyph for each character in that range.
>
> > On my Emacs v 25.0.50.1 on Kubuntu 15.04, started with -Q and setting
> > the default font to "Source Code Pro" or Consolas, "Ume Mincho" is used
> > for ∀, but with "Deja Vu Sans Mono" as the default font there is no
> > problem.
>
> Your Emacs has the problem reported by the OP solved, so the fonts you
> use not necessarily will solve his problem with Emacs 24.4.

dejavu sans mono solves it for the ForAll sign but not for the Fraktur L
since that remains in a math font
[And Adobe source code pro shows only boxes]

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 17:12           ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-09-22 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> It is worth a try (Deja Vu Sans Mono covers a lot too), altough as
>> mentioned on my previous message, Emacs sometimes uses another font when
>> the default one encodes the Unicode char. On a discussion with an Emacs
>> hacker long time ago he mentioned that maybe such font does not correcty
>> report the chars it covers.
>
> Emacs doesn't open fonts it considers for a given character, to avoid
> a long delay when many fonts are tried (opening a font is expensive).
> Without opening a font, it is impossible to know with 100% certainty
> whether a font that declares coverage of some range of characters
> indeed includes a glyph for each character in that range.

On the case I mention above the problem migth consist on the font *not*
declaring some ranges, then Emacs switching to another font for the
characters on those ranges, right?

[snip]

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 17:27         ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-09-22 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The Latin Modern Math font (and many other "math" fonts) specify a
> preposterously large global height value.  Previously, Emacs always
> obeyed that global value, with the effect that you see.  In the
> development sources, we ignore such large values, and instead compute
> our own value using the actual characters from the font.
>
> If you want to work around that in Emacs before 25.1, find a font that
> supports those symbols, but does not specify such large height values.

From the same bug that Eli talks, the face-ignored-fonts variable was
mentioned.  This may also be helpful in Emacs<25.

  ;; see http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/103083
  (setq face-ignored-fonts '("Latin Modern Math"))

Rasmus

--
However beautiful the theory, you should occasionally look at the evidence

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-22 17:31             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-22 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:12:27 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> It is worth a try (Deja Vu Sans Mono covers a lot too), altough as
> >> mentioned on my previous message, Emacs sometimes uses another font when
> >> the default one encodes the Unicode char. On a discussion with an Emacs
> >> hacker long time ago he mentioned that maybe such font does not correcty
> >> report the chars it covers.
> >
> > Emacs doesn't open fonts it considers for a given character, to avoid
> > a long delay when many fonts are tried (opening a font is expensive).
> > Without opening a font, it is impossible to know with 100% certainty
> > whether a font that declares coverage of some range of characters
> > indeed includes a glyph for each character in that range.
>
> On the case I mention above the problem migth consist on the font *not*
> declaring some ranges, then Emacs switching to another font for the
> characters on those ranges, right?

Yes.

@ 2015-09-23  1:57         ` Rusi
       [not found]           ` <mailman.1638.1442990857.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2015-09-23  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 10:11:03 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 09:08:38 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Rusi

> > 24.4.1
>
> The development sources fix this problem.

Ok Thanks.
Just downloaded and compiled 25.0.50.1
And its fine
[Apart from the 600 MB  it takes :-) ]

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-23  6:47           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.1638.1442990857.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-23  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:57:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>

> > > 24.4.1
> >
> > The development sources fix this problem.
>
> Ok Thanks.
> Just downloaded and compiled 25.0.50.1
> And its fine
> [Apart from the 600 MB  it takes :-) ]

The bulk of those 600MB is the Git history, not Emacs.

@ 2015-09-23 17:19             ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-09-23 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 12:17:40 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:57:42 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Rusi

> > > The development sources fix this problem.
> >
> > Ok Thanks.
> > Just downloaded and compiled 25.0.50.1
> > And its fine
> > [Apart from the 600 MB  it takes :-) ]
>
> The bulk of those 600MB is the Git history, not Emacs.

Yes that is so
I tried again with --depth 1 (shallow clone)
Shallow emacs 262M
Full clone 441M

In particular
shallow emacs' .git 38M
Full emacs .git 228M

Most important it was some 2 hours yesterday with full and less than ½ with shallow

So people setting out to build their own should probably be recommended to
use --depth 1 ??
Whether further pulls for shallow will be messed is to be seen
[git's shallow clone was not working well until recently]

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
@ 2015-09-23 19:05               ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-09-23 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes that is so
> I tried again with --depth 1 (shallow clone)
> Shallow emacs 262M
> Full clone 441M
>
> In particular
> shallow emacs' .git 38M
> Full emacs .git 228M
>
> Most important it was some 2 hours yesterday with full and less than ½ with shallow
>
> So people setting out to build their own should probably be recommended to
> use --depth 1 ??

No, unless they have no intention of helping Emacs hackers to
troubleshoot regressions. When you wish to check some past revisions to
find the point where a bug was introduced, having the full history
locally is an advantage.

Moreover, let's suppose that you build your Emacs and it turns to be
unusable or faulty for your workflow due to some ongoing changes. With
the full history, going back to find a stable development point is much
easier.

* Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-23 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:19:35 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> I tried again with --depth 1 (shallow clone)
> Shallow emacs 262M
> Full clone 441M
>
> In particular
> shallow emacs' .git 38M
> Full emacs .git 228M
>
> Most important it was some 2 hours yesterday with full and less than ½ with shallow
>
> So people setting out to build their own should probably be recommended to
> use --depth 1 ??

No, you are well advised to use full.  Those 2 hours are a one-time
cost, the subsequent updates are much faster.