all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: 22334@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#22334: 25.1.50; Better sorting of blocks in describe-bindings
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:45:08 +0200	[thread overview]

> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
> Cc: 22334@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 09:16:16 +0800
>
> > Please try figuring out how come what you see is so much different
> > from what I see here.  Or maybe someone else can
>
> Poking around a little more, it looks like the minor modes *always* come
> first. I'm talking about `describe-bindings' (C-h b), not
> `describe-mode', see below.

Sorry, my bad: for some reason, I did look at "C-h m".  Now that I try
"C-h b", I do see those bindings listed.

However, they aren't for self-inserting bindings, they are for "Key
translations".  (The self-inserting characters are mentioned much
farther below, and they take exactly 3 lines.)  The bindings for the
major mode follow directly after these.

The code that puts key translations first is very old, it was added
almost 25 years ago.  It is triggered by a non-nil values of either
keyboard-translate-table or key-translation-map.

Maybe we should do something similar to evaluation in *scratch*: limit
the number of such bindings to some customizable value, and display a
"..." button instead of the rest?

I don't think putting them at the bottom is a good idea: as Andreas
points out, the bindings are shown in the order of their priority, so
the order cannot be arbitrarily changed.

> >> Not a big deal at all.
> >
> > I'm not sure I agree.
>
> I meant this didn't matter much to me -- having the extra two lines in
> there isn't a big deal.

Actually, which minor mode bindings do you see in "C-h b" display, and
in what mode?  It seems like "Emacs -Q" doesn't have any such bindings
displayed, and neither does C mode.