all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [ELPA] New package: slider-widget
@ 2018-02-19 18:02 Ian Dunn
From: Ian Dunn @ 2018-02-19 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'd like to submit slider-widget to ELPA.  It's just a small package that adds support for an interactive slider widget.

If there are no issues, I can push it straight to ELPA.

[-- Attachment #2: slider-widget.el --]

Ian Dunn

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slider-widget
@ 2018-02-19 18:31 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-02-19 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Dunn; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ian Dunn <dunni@gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:02:52 -0500
>
> I'd like to submit slider-widget to ELPA.  It's just a small package that adds support for an interactive slider widget.

Thanks.

> ;;  0%: []------------------ (b: 0, a:9)
> ;;  5%: []------------------ (b: 0, a:9) (Rounding Down)
> ;; 10%: --[]---------------- (b: 1, a:8)
> ;; 20%: ----[]-------------- (b: 2, a:7)
> ;; 30%: ------[]------------ (b: 3, a:6)
> ;; 40%: --------[]---------- (b: 4, a:5)
> ;; 50%: ----------[]-------- (b: 5, a:4)

Any plans for making it more graphically-looking on GUI frames?

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slider-widget
@ 2018-02-19 19:25   ` Ian Dunn
From: Ian Dunn @ 2018-02-19 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Eli> Any plans for making it more graphically-looking on GUI frames?

Not yet.  How do you mean "more graphically-looking"?  Different characters to make it look like an unbroken line, or an actual graphical object (like we have for buttons)?

--

@ 2018-02-19 20:00     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-02-19 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Dunn; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ian Dunn <dunni@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:25:40 -0500
>

>     Eli> Any plans for making it more graphically-looking on GUI frames?
>
> Not yet.  How do you mean "more graphically-looking"?  Different characters to make it look like an unbroken line, or an actual graphical object (like we have for buttons)?

The latter.  We should try to make Emacs modern-looking, which means
showing fancy, good-looking icons and small images instead of "ASCII
art", wherever possible and reasonable.  The ASCII fallback is fine
for TTY frames, of course.

Thanks.

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slider-widget
@ 2018-02-19 20:11       ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2018-02-19 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Ian Dunn, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Ian Dunn <dunni@gnu.org>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:25:40 -0500
>>

>>     Eli> Any plans for making it more graphically-looking on GUI frames?
>>
>> Not yet.  How do you mean "more graphically-looking"?  Different characters to make it look like an unbroken line, or an actual graphical object (like we have for buttons)?
>
> The latter.  We should try to make Emacs modern-looking, which means
> showing fancy, good-looking icons and small images instead of "ASCII
> art", wherever possible and reasonable.  The ASCII fallback is fine
> for TTY frames, of course.

I did a POC of graphical gtk sliders in the xwidget branch. I remember
there being some redrawing issues, but it sort of worked otherwise.

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slider-widget
@ 2018-02-19 21:28     ` Clément Pit-Claudel
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2018-02-19 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2018-02-19 14:25, Ian Dunn wrote:
> Different characters to make it look like an unbroken line

I often use whitespace with the :strike-through property for that.

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slider-widget
@ 2018-02-20  1:38       ` Ian Dunn
From: Ian Dunn @ 2018-02-20  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

    >> From: Ian Dunn <dunni@gnu.org> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org Date: Mon, 19 Feb
    >> 2018 14:25:40 -0500
    >>

    Eli> Any plans for making it more graphically-looking on GUI frames?
    >>
    >> Not yet.  How do you mean "more graphically-looking"?  Different
    >> characters to make it look like an unbroken line, or an actual graphical
    >> object (like we have for buttons)?

    Eli> The latter.  We should try to make Emacs modern-looking, which means
    Eli> showing fancy, good-looking icons and small images instead of "ASCII
    Eli> art", wherever possible and reasonable.  The ASCII fallback is fine for
    Eli> TTY frames, of course.

    Eli> Thanks.

Seems doable to use images instead of background/cursor strings for graphical displays, then fall back on text for text displays (or if the user/developer didn't specify images).

--
Ian Dunn