all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RE: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
@ 2010-04-13 19:53 grischka
From: grischka @ 2010-04-13 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drew.adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > It's not clear to me, for example, what you mean by tabs (necessarily)
 > doing the same thing to different objects.

See, tabs are defined by their shape, more by their placement and
mostly by their action.  Which is to "switch content in the associated
window".  If it does not perform this action then it is not a tabs
control but just a row of buttons.

To give another example:  A scrollbar is defined mostly by its action
to "scroll content in the associated window".  Of course you could use
the scrollbar widget just as well to adjust your speaker volume, but
then it wouldn't be a scrollbar, even if it looked like one.

Aside from that it is completely unnecessary and boring to overload
widgets with alien functionality.  If for example you like to have
a row of buttons to switch color themes in the buffer, then well,
just use a row of (possibly colored) buttons.

--- grischka