all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* memory grab causes machine to grind to a halt
@ 2011-11-27 20:54 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2011-11-27 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

I work mostly at home on a laptop, but I keep a window open at all
times at my employer's ssh server. It runs emacs and I do some of my
work inside it (usually in shell-mode).

Problem: when that window dies, emacs remains alive and often -- days
later -- it suddenly starts grabbing memory, causing the server to
grind to a halt until the process is killed somehow.

Any idea what emacs may be doing?  (Note that this is always a process
that's no longer interactive.)

Alternativately, any suggestion for automatically killing the rogue
emacs process *before* it takes up all the memory? For instance, how
to limit it to 50% of available memory?

Thanks,

Silvio

* Re: memory grab causes machine to grind to a halt
@ 2011-11-28  3:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-11-28  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Silvio Levy <levy@msri.org>
> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:54:10 -0800
>
> Problem: when that window dies, emacs remains alive and often -- days
> later -- it suddenly starts grabbing memory, causing the server to
> grind to a halt until the process is killed somehow.
>
> Any idea what emacs may be doing?  (Note that this is always a process
> that's no longer interactive.)

When that happens next time, attach a debugger to the Emacs process,
produce a backtrace, and post to emacs-devel@gnu.org, or even report
the backtrace as a bug with "M-x report-emacs RET" (from a fresh Emacs
session).